How to submit application for Japanese Government scholarships for undergraduate students
Do you want to study in Japan? Are you aware about the Japanese Government scholarships for Indian undergraduate students for pursuing studies in Japan? What is the application procedure and where to find authentic details about such scholarships? Read this article to know answer of these and such other related questions.
IntroductionThe Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) of the Government of Japan offers scholarships to Indian students for pursuing undergraduate courses in Japan in the specified fields of study. The candidates should be between 17 to 21 years of age and must have completed 12 years of regular school education. The scholarships are offered for a period of five years. The application form and guidelines of the scholarship are made available on the 'Application Guidelines for Undergraduate Students' on the website of the Embassy of Japan in India - http://www.in.emb-japan.go.jp/. The students are required to contact and submit their applications at the respective Japanese diplomatic missions in India according to the states as specified in the announcement.
Fields of study-
- Social sciences and humanities-
- Laws, politics, pedagogy, sociology, literature, history, Japanese language and others.
- Economics, business, administration.
- Natural Science-
- Science (mathematics, physics, chemistry), electrical engineering, electronics, information engineering, mechanical engineering, naval architecture, civil engineering & architecture, environmental engineering, chemical studies (applied chemistry, chemical engineering, industrial chemistry, textile engineering) and other fields (metallurgical engineering, mining engineering, maritime engineering, biotechnology).
- Agricultural studies (agriculture, agricultural chemistry, agricultural engineering, animal science, veterinary medicine, forestry, food science, fisheries), hygienic studies (pharmacy, hygienics, nursing), science (biology).
Qualification The students should have either completed 12 years of regular school education or graduated from a school equivalent to an upper secondary school in Japan.
AgeAge of the students should be 17 to 21 years i.e. the students should have born between 02.04.1995 and 01.04.2000.
Term of scholarshipFive years from April (from April 2017 to March 2022) including one year of Japanese language training period. However Japaneses language training may be exempted, in case the students takes admission in an English language course or have good abilities in Japanese language.
- Application deadline -17.06.2016.
- The applicants must be Indian nationals.
- Number of scholarships - about 3, depending on candidates written test scores.
- Stipend - 117,000 Yen per month i.e. approximately about Rs.71,000 per month. The amount is subject to change depending on the annual budget of each year.
- Tuition and other fees will be paid by the Japanese Government.
- Economy class round trip airfare will be provided.
- The applicants must be willing to learn Japanese and interested in Japan. They should be willing to deepen their understanding of Japan after arriving in Japan.
- Applicants must not have any mental or physical disabilities which is likely to affect studies at Japanese universities.
- The applicants must acquire college student visa before entering Japan.
- The scholarship recipients will have to attend an intensive preparatory course of one year duration in the Japanese language and other subjects necessary for preparation before proceeding to university.
- The preparatory education requirement may be waived in case the student has sufficient knowledge of the Japanese language to pursue his/her study at university or who intends to pursue studies at an university without the Japanese language requirement.
How to apply
- The applicants should submit following documents to the Japanese diplomatic missions on or before the last date i.e. 17.06.2016.
- Application form (1 original + 1 copy).
- Placement Preference Form (original).
- Academic transcripts of the past 3 years (1 original + 1 copy).
- Graduation certificate of the last school attended (1 original + 1 copy).
- Recommendation from the principal or the adviser of the last school attended (1 original + 1 copy).
- Medical certificate (1 original + 1 copy).
- Certificate of enrollment, in case of an student who is enrolled in an university (1 original + 1 copy).
- Certificate of passage of university entrance qualification examination in case applicable.
- The documents should be numbered as 1 to 8 on the right upper corner.
- Photographs of size 4.5×3.5 cm should have been taken within the past six months covering upper body, full face in uncapped condition. The name and nationality of the applicant should be written on the reverse of the photograph and pasted on the Application Form and Placement Preference Form.
Where to apply
- Consulate General of Japan in Kolkata
55, M.N. Sen Lane, Tollygunge
Phone - 033-24211970 (students from West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand and Orissa states)
- Consulate General of Japan in Chennai
No 12/1 Cenetoph Road, 1st Street,Teynampet
Phone -044-24323860 (students from Tamil Nadu, Pondicherry, Kerala, Andhra Pradesh and Telangana states).
- Consulate General of Japan in Mumbai
No.1 M.L Dhanukar Marg, Cumballa Hill
Phone- 022-23517101 (students from Maharashtra, Gujarat, Goa, Daman & Diu, Dadra & Nagar Haveli, Chhatisgarh and Madhya Pradesh states).
- Consulate of Japan in Bengaluru
1st Floor, Prestige Nebula
No.8-14, Cubbon Road
Phone- 080-40649999, 41660111 to 3 (students from Karnataka state).
- Japan Information Centre (JIC), New Delhi
Embassy of Japan, 50-G, Shantipath, Chanakyapuri,
Phone- 01124122970 to 2, 46104810 (students from remaining states and union territories of India).
- The Japanese diplomatic missions in cooperation with the Government of India will conduct primary screening of the submitted application documents, academic examinations and interviews of the applicants for selection.
- The subjects of written examination are as follows-
- For applicants for a major in Social Sciences and Humanities - Mathematics, English and Japanese language (total 3 subjects).
- For applicants for a major in Natural Sciences - Mathematics, English, two subjects selected from among physics, chemistry and biology and Japanese language (total 5 subjects). Physics and chemistry should be chosen by the students applying for Natural Sciences A and and chemistry and biology should be chosen by the students applying for Natural Sciences B or C.
- Results of the primary screening will be notified to each applicant by the Japanese diplomatic mission at a date to be decided later.
- The applicants selected through primary screening will be recommended to the MEXT which will decide the final awardee.
Contact detailsFurther clarification/information can be obtained from -
Mr. S. Sinha,
Phone - 011-46104865 (direct)
Email - firstname.lastname@example.org
Japan Information Centre (JIC),
Embassy of Japan,
50-G, Shantipath, Chanakyapuri,
New Delhi - 110021.
PBX - 011-24122970 to 2, 46104810
Fax - 011-2410 6976
ConclusionDetailed 'Application Guidelines for Undergraduate Students' have been made available on the website of the Embassy of Japan in India - http://www.in.emb-japan.go.jp/. The students desirous of submitting applications for the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) of the Government of Japan scholarships for pursuing undergraduate courses in Japan, should study the same thoroughly and adhere to scrupulously. The information shared in this article is only illustrative in nature.