How to submit application for IIST undergraduate (B.Tech. and Dual Degree) program admissions 2016
Are you interested in pursuing undergraduate (B.Tech. and Dual Degree) program offered by the Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST) ? Do you want to know the last date of submission of application form and eligibility criteria? Read this article to know answer of these and such other related questions.
IntroductionThe Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST) is a residential institution located at Valiamala, approximately 20 km from Thiruvananthapuram city in the state of Kerala. It is established by the Department of Space(DOS), Government of India and is a 'Deemed to be University' under Section 3 of the UGC Act 1956. The IIST offers undergraduate, postgraduate, doctoral and postdoctoral programs in the areas of space science, technology and applications. It has entered into a MoU with USRA (Universities Space Research Association) of USA and California Institute of Technology (Caltech) for exchange of students and faculty. Under this scheme selected students can do their project work/ internship in USA.
- Online registration opens on - 08.06.2016.
- Online registration closes on - 24.06.2016*.
- Last date for completing registration fee related formalities - 27.06.2016.
- Publication of admission rank list and admission counselling date/venue - 29.06.2016*.
- *In case of a delay in publication of JEE(Main) All-India Rank list-2016 by CBSE, the dates are subject to change.
- Any change in the dates dates will be notified on the IIST admission website.
- Session starts - August, 2016.
Udergraduate programs at IIST
- B.Tech. (Aerospace Engineering) - 60 seats, 4 years duration.
- B.Tech. (Avionics) - 60 seats, 4 years duration.
- Dual Degree (B.Tech. and M.S./M.Tech.)* - 20 seats, 5 years duration.
- *In the dual degree program, the students on successful completion of the 5 year (10 semesters) program, receive a B.Tech. degree in Engineering Physics and a M.S./M.Tech. degree in either of the following four streams as per preference given at the end of sixth semester - (i) M.S. (Astronomy and Astrophysics), (ii) M.S. (Earth System Science), (iii) M.S. (Solid State Physics) or (iv) M.Tech. (Optical Engineering)
- Only Indian citizens are eligible to apply.
- The general category (GEN) and Other Backward Classes (OBC) category candidates should have born on or after October 1, 1991.
- The Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST) and Persons with Disabilities (PD) categories should have born on or after October 1, 1986.
- The candidates should have passed 10+2 examination with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics as subjects.
- The general category (GEN) and Other Backward Classes (OBC) category candidates should have obtained at least 70% marks in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics (PCM) in the qualifying examination.
- In case of candidates belonging to SC/ST/PD categories, the minimum percentage of marks is relaxed to 60% .
- The candidates should have appeared in the Joint Entrance Examination (Advanced)-2016 conducted by IITs and secure the minimum prescribed category wise marks in JEE (Advanced)-2016. The details of prescribed marks are given in the 'Information Brochure' published by the IIST and on its website - admission.iist.ac.in.
Financial assistanceThe tuition fee, students amenity fee, hostel charges including dining, establishment charges and medical cover are provided by IIST once in a semester which is funded by Department of Space (DOS), Government of India for students admitted to undergraduate programs. In addition a book allowance of Rs.3000/- is also provided in each semester. However the students are required to secure a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) of 7.5 out of 10-point scale in the semester, to be eligible to receive the financial assistance.
Absorption in ISRO/DOSSince DOS provides performamce based financial assistance to the undergraduate students, ISRO/DOS have the first right to absorb them, subject to the human resource requirements of ISRO/DOS. However absorptions in jobs is subject to the recruitment norms of ISRO/DOS. If absorbed, the IIST undergraduates are posted as Scientist/Engineer-'SC' in any ISRO/DOS Centre in the pay band PB-3 of Rs. 15,600-39,100 with a Grade Pay of Rs. 5,400/-) + dearness allowance and house rent allowance (as applicable).
Reservation of seats
- Scheduled Castes (SC) - 15%.
- Scheduled Tribes (ST) - 7.5%.
- Other Backward Classes (OBC-NCL) - 27%.
- Persons with Disabilities (PD)- 3% (horizontal reservation)
- Male candidates (GEN/OBC category) - Rs. 600.
- Female candidates (GEN/OBC category) - Rs. 300.
- All candidates (SC, ST, PD category) - Rs. 300.
- The Registration fee once paid is non-refundable.
- After successful resgistration, the registration fee can be paid at one of the branches of State Bank of India (SBI) or Union Bank of India (UBI) next day onward using the challan that can be downloaded and printed from the website after the registration.
- The NRI candidates can submit registration fee through a demand draft drawn on any bank outside India. The demand draft should be drawn in favor of 'The Registrar IIST' payable at Thiruvananthapuram, India. However in such cases, any demand draft issued from a bank within India will not be acceptable.
- The name and reistration number of the applicants should be written on the backside of the DD.
- The demand draft (DD) should be sent to the Chairman, Undergraduate Admissions-2016, Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology, Valiamala (P.O.), Thiruvananthapuram-695547 Kerala, India
- The candidates should have their JEE (Main), 2016 roll number, JEE (Advanced), 2016 roll number and a valid email ID before starting online application process.
- The eligibility criteria should be studied carefully and only after meeting the eligibility criteria fully, the registration process should be started.
- It may be noted that the marks obtained by the candidates in JEE (Advanced), 2016 examination are used only for the purpose of determining eligibility criteria of the candidates. The said marks are not used for preparation of IIST admission rank list.
- IIST admission rank list is prepared on the basis of 'All India Rank list' (including category rank) prepared and published by Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE). CBSE prepares 'All India Rank list' giving 60% weightage to the score in JEE (Main) examination and 40% weightage to the normalised score in the 10+2 qualifying examination.
- The 'All India Rank list' is expected to be published by the CBSE in the last week of June, 2016.
- The IIST admission rank list and the date/venues for the admission counselling is likely to be published on the IIST website on 29.06.2016*.
- The IIST admission counselling is likely to he held at Ahmedabad, Bengaluru, Kolkata, New Delhi.
- 'Confirmed Seat' will be allotted to the eligible candidates in the order of their JEE (Main) All India Rank, 2016 during counselling.
How to apply
- Visit the online application portal admission.iist.ac.in
- Click the link for undergraduate admission-2016.
- Read the instructions carefully and fill details in the each field of application.
- Download and print the challan for payment of registration fee.
- Pay the registration fee at one of the branches of State Bank of India (SBI) or Union Bank of India (UBI). fee can be paid one day after the date of registration 11 AM next day onward.
- Login into the 'online application portal' using the registration number and the previously chosen password.
- Enter the bank transaction details in the system.
- The scanned image of the 'institute copy' of the challan in PDF/JPEG format is also required to be uploaded in the system. The institute copy of the challan must bear the seal and signature of the bank official.
- The NRI candidates should download and print 'NRI Payment Form' instead of bank challan.
- NRI candidates should upload the scanned image of the Demand Draft in the system.
Contact detailsChairman (Undergraduate Admissions),
Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology
Valiamala (P.O.), Thiruvananthapuram - 695547
Help Line Numbers - 0471-2568477, 2568478, 2568555
Fax Number - 0471-2568556
Websites: www.iist.ac.in/admissions/undergraduate, http://admission.iist.ac.in
ConclusionThe application process for admission to IIST's undergraduate (B.Tech. and Dual Degree) is very simple and systematic. All necessary information and guidelines has been made available on IIST admission portal - admission.iist.ac.in. The candidates are requested to visit the said website for obtaining full particulars and authentic information about the admission process before proceeding ahead. The information provided on this article is only illustrative in nature.