IIST Ph.D. program for master and bachelor degree holders - July 2016
Are you interested in pursuing Ph.D. program for master and bachelor degree holders offered by the Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST)? Do you want to know the application procedure and eligibility criteria? Read this article to know answer of these and such other related questions.
IntroductionIndian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST) is a 'Deemed to be University' under Section 3 of the UGC Act 1956. It is established by the Department of Space(DOS), Government of India and its campus is located at Valiamala, approximately 20 km from Thiruvananthapuram city in the state of Kerala. IIST has been ranked as 8th among the Indian Universities in the 'National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) – India Rankings 2016' brought out by Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Human Resources Development, Government of India. The institute offers doctoral and postdoctoral programs in the areas of Aerospace Engineering, Avionics, Earth and Space Sciences, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Humanities. IIST has invited applications from highly motivated applicants for admission to the Ph.D. program beginig in July 2016.
- Online Registration opens - 20.05.2016.
- Online Registration closes - 13.06.2016.
- Last date of submitting application fee - 17.06.2016.
- Display of shortlisted applicants - 24.06.2016.
- Interview dates (tentative) - 18.07.2016 to 22.07.2016.
- Display of selected applicants - 27.07.2016.
- GATE and UGC/CSIR NET-JRF/JEST qualified students - Rs.25,000 per month.
- UGC-NET Lectureship students - Rs.12,000 per month.
- On the basis of performance review after two years of research, the fellowship amount will be increased.
- The scholars are required to assist the department in tutorials, practicals or related academic activities, normally up to 6 hours in a week.
- The scholars are required to pay fees and charges for the services provided by IIST like boarding, lodging, medical facilities etc.
- Masters degree in Engineering/Technology - Ist class or equivalent in the masters degree and must have pursued masters degree on the basis of qualified GATE score. GATE score may not be insisted in cases of candidates having completed (i) MS in engineering from foreign universities with outstanding academic record or (ii) MS by research with outstanding academic record and (iii) integrated masters degree (or dual degree) in Engineering/Technology from IITs and IISc with minimum CGPA 9.0 out of 10.
- Masters degree in Science - Ist class or equivalent in the masters degree and must have qualified UGC/CSIR NET-JRF/JEST or GATE in the relevant disciplines.
- Masters degree in Humanities - Ist class or equivalent in the masters degree and must have qualified UGC-NET Lectureship/JRF in the relevant disciplines.
- Bachelors degree in Engineering/Technology - Outstanding applicants with bachelors degree in Engineering with an excellent academic record and aptitude for research may be considered for direct admission to the Ph.D. program. Such candidates should have CGPA of 9.0 out of 10 or better and a valid GATE score of 675 or better. B.Tech. students from IITs with CGPA better than 9.0 out of 10 do not require GATE.
- Applicant should be an Indian citizen.
- As on 13.06.2016, the applicants should be below 28 years of age. Age relaxation are applicable as per Government Rules.
How to apply
- Applications has to be submitted online only on the website of the IIST - www.iist.ac.in.
- The application process involves two steps - 'Profile Registration' and 'Course Registration'
- Any changes in the profile registration, once submitted are not allowed.
- The applicants have to keep ready scanned images of their recent photograph in JPG/JPEG format (maximum size 100 KB) and specimen signature using black pen in JPG/JPEG format (maximum size 100 KB) for uploading during online application process.
- The applicants of the SC/ST/OBC/Persons with Disabilities (PWD) categories have to upload scanned images in JPG/JPEG format of their relevant certificates.
- Application fee for each 'Department Code' is Rs. 250 (Rs. 125 in the case of SC/ST/PWD and women applicants) which has to be submitted in prescribed manner.
- In case an applicant is eligible and wishes to submit application under more than one 'Department Code', then separate application and application fee will have to be submitted in each case.
- The application fee is non-refundable.
- There is no automatic saving of the document by the system. The data on a page gets saved only on clicking the 'confirm' button.
- On successful submission of the profile, system generated registration number and 'login password' is alloted to the applicant which appears on the system as well as sent by email also.
- On successful registration of the course, the bank challan for payment of application fee at the bank branch is generated automatically.
- A printout of the challan should be taken, signed and taken to any branch of the State Bank of india (SBI) for deposition of application fee only after two working days from the date of registration.
- The student's copy and the 'institute's copy' of the challan should be taken back after deposition of application fee. These copies contain 'journal number ' and seal/signature of the bank official. On uploading the scanned image of the 'institute's copy' of the challan, the application procedure gets completed.
- Candidates have to submit their applications online only upto 13.06.2016.
- Shortlisting among the eligible candidates is done on the basis of their GATE/NET scores.
- The applicants have to enter their GATE score through which their masters degree was pursued.
- In case of more than one GATE score, the applicant has to submit their best GATE score.
- List of candidates short listed for written test or interview will be displayed on the website of IIST by 24.06.2016.
- Final selection will be based on the interview conducted at the IIST, Thiruvananthapuram during the period 18.07.2016 to 22.07.2016.
- A written test may also be conducted in case there are very large number of applicants.
- Results will be displayed on the website of IIST by 27.07.2016.
- To and fro sleeper class train fare/bus fare by shortest route or actual fare paid (whichever is less) will be reimbursed to the candidates called for interview.
- However the candidates will have to make their own arrangements for their stay at Thiruvananthapuram.
- A 'No Objection Certificate' issued by the current employer will have to be produced by the candidates employed in Government/Semi Government/PSUs/Autonomous Bodies.
- Research plan for July, 2016 Ph.D. admission with 'Department Code' is given in a tabular form in the admission notification/website of the IIST.
Chairman, IIST Ph.D. Admissions, July 2016,
Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology,
Valiamala P.O., Thiruvananthapuram – 695 547, Kerala.
Admission Help Line Numbers - 0471-2112095 / 2568603
Registration Help Line Numbers - 0471 - 2568477 / 2568478 / 2568555
ConclusionThe eligible candidates should visit the website of the IIST for obtaining full particulars and authentic information about the admission process before proceeding ahead. The instructions regarding the filling up of the online application shoud be read carefully before starting application process. All necessary information and guidelines has been made available on IIST admission portal - admission.iist.ac.in.