IntroductionIndian Institutes of Management (IIMs) have published the advertisement for CAT 2016 in the newspapers across the country on 31.07.2016. IIMs are premier management institutions in India which provide quality education in management and research. CAT is a management aptitude test conducted by the IIMs to evaluate and shortlist candidates for admission to their post graduate programs. CAT examination is a pre-requisite for admission to various management programs of all the 20 IIMs- which are the premier B-Schools in India. In addition, many non-IIM institutions also use CAT score for their selection process, a list of which is made available on the website of the CAT.
- Online registration starts - 08.08.2016.
- Online registration ends - 22.09.2016.
- Admit card download - 18.10.2016.
- CAT 2016 test day - 04.12.2016.
- Results - Second week of January 2017 (tentative).
- A bachelors degree with at least 50% marks or equivalent CGPA (45% in case of SC, ST and PWD candidates)
- The candidates appearing for final year in the bachelors degree or equivalent examination can also apply.
- Scheduled Caste (SC)- 15%.
- Scheduled Tribe (ST) - 7.5%.
- Other Backward Castes, Non-Creamy Layer (NC-OBC) - 27%.
- Persons with Disabilities (PWD) - 3%.
- General and OBC candidates - Rs.1700.
- SC, ST and PWD candidates - Rs. 750.
- The CAT 2016 examination will be conducted on 04.12.2016 (Sunday).
- CAT 2016 will be conducted in two sessions in the forenoon and afternoon. The candidates will be assigned a single session depending on the test center availability and city preference.
- The CAT 2016 examination will be conducted in 138 cities across India. The candidates will be given the option to select 4 test cities in order of their preference. The test cities and centers will be assigned to the candidates only after the last date for CAT 2016 registration.
- The registration fee should be paid through online mode only using a credit card, debit card or net banking.
- The candidates will be able to download their Admit Card from18.10.2016 onwards.
- There is no age restriction for taking the CAT examination.
- The candidates shortlisted on the basis of CAT score have to undergo additional admission/selection processes like Written Ability Test (WAT), Group Discussion (GD) and Personal Interviews (PI). Other factors like the previous academic performance of the candidates, relevant work experience, and other similar inputs may also be considered in short listing and ranking of candidates at various stages of the admission process.
List of IIMsThe following is a list of the 20 IIMs operational at present. The states in which they are located, year of establishment and the programs for which CAT 2016 score is a pre-requisite, are given in the bracket in that order) -
List of non-IIM member institutions that have registered to avail CAT score is made available on the website - www.iimcat.ac.in/. However, the IIMs have no role to play in selection process of non-IIMs.
- IIM Ahmedabad (Gujarat, 1961, PGP, PGP-FABM)
- IIM Calcutta (West Bengal, 1961, PGP-PGDM)
- IIM Bangalore (Karnataka, 1973, PGP, PGPEM, PGPPM)
- IIM Lucknow (Uttar Pradesh, 1984, PGP, PGP-ABM, PGPSM)
- IIM Indore (Madhya Pradesh, 1996, PGP, EPGP)
- IIM Kozhikode (Kerala, 1996, PGP)
- IIM Shillong (Meghalaya, 2007, PGP, PGPEX)
- IIM Raipur (Chhattisgarh, 2010, PGP, PGPWE)
- IIM Ranchi (Jharkhand, 2010, PGDM, PGDHRM)
- IIM Rohtak (Haryana, 2010, PGP,EPGP)
- IIM Kashipur (Uttarakhand, 2011, PGP, EPGPM)
- IIM Tiruchirappalli (Tamil Nadu, 2011, PGP, PGPBM)
- IIM Udaipur (Rajasthan, 2011, PGP)
- IIM Amritsar (Punjab, 2015, PGP)
- IIM Bodh Gaya (Bihar, 2015, PGP)
- IIM Nagpur (Maharashtra, 2015, PGP)
- IIM Sambalpur (Odisha, 2015, PGP, PGP)
- IIM Sirmaur (Himachal Pradesh, 2015, PGP)
- IIM Visakhapatnam (Andhra Pradesh, 2015, PGP)
- IIM Jammu (Jammu and Kashmir, 2016, PGP)
- CAT is not an online examination. Instead, it is a digital or Computer Based Test (CBT) in which a candidate will read the questions on a computer terminal and choose an answer by clicking on the correct option. The timer on the computer screen displays the remaining time to complete the current section.
- The candidates cannot take CAT examination from any computer. Instead they have to take the examination on a workstation assigned at the test center in the city selected while registering for CAT.
- The candidats can familiarize themselves with the functionality and navigation of the actual examination by participating in the practice test on the CAT website - www.iimcat.ac.in. A link to the CAT 2016 mock test link will be made available by the end of October 2016.
- The CAT 2016 examination will have following three sections -
- Section I - Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension
- Section II - Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning
- Section III - Quantitative Ability
- The scoring scheme for Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs) is as follows -
- Each correct answer is awarded 3 marks.
- An incorrect answer fetches -1 mark.
- No marks are given or deducted for unattempted questions.
- There may be both MCQ and non-MCQ types of questions. The number of questions varies and are not disclosed.
- There is no negative marks for non-MCQ type questions.
- Both the MCQ and non-MCQ types of questions carry equal marks. However, for non-MCQ type questions, answer must be typed.
- The candidates have to answer the sections in a pre-specified order and this order remains same for all the candidates.
- The CAT examination doesn't have a defined syllabus for CAT preparation. However the candidates can appear in the mock test to understand the pattern of examination and types of questions.
- Candidates are allotted exactly 60 minutes for answering questions in each section and they cannot switch from one section to another while answering questions in a section.
- Tutorial to understand the format of the examination will be made available on the CAT website from 18.10.2016 onward.
- Toll free number - 18002663549 (09.00 AM to 05.30 PM, Mon to Sat)
- Academic queries like eligibility, category and PWD certificate -
CAT Centre 2016,
C/O Admissions Office,
Phone Number: 080-26993388/ 080-26993188
- Website: https://iimcat.ac.in/
- Queries regarding application form, payment, document uploading etc. -
Help Desk Number: 18002663549
Help Desk email ID: email@example.com
ConclusionThe candidates aspiring to appear in CAT 2016 examination may visit the CAT website referred above. Instructions for online registration and the application process will be available in the Registration Guide and Registration video published on the website. It may be noted that this article in intended for only creating awareness about the announcement of the CAT 2016 examination. Only the information published on the official website of the CAT should be referred to and relied upon for completing the registration process and subsequent action.