Overview Individual work is different from the team work. While working in team, each and every one will be having individual roles and responsibilities to complete a task in a specific time. The output will be calculated based on the team's effort and the contributions. To taste Success, each and every person should deliver their part in a sincere manner. More importantly all the members in a team should travel on the same wavelength to make the project success. Sometimes many clashes of ideas, misunderstanding and many more problems will occur between the team. To avoid such problems and to take the project to greater heights, some team building strategies need to be followed.
Team building tips Listed below are some of the important tips the team leaders should follow to build a strong team.
1. Set clear goals and team vision If you are about to start a new project then set clear goals and a common team vision based on the rules and regulations of the organization and the project requirement. Get ideas from the team members while preparing the goals and the vision. Once the ideas are prepared, make sure all the members in the team are clear about the goals and the vision of the team.
2. Know about the Team Before starting the project, get to know about all the members in the team. Members are the backbone of a team. Have a one to one session with the team members and analyse the positive and the negative of the members. Try to identify the potential of the members and their experience on previous work form the discussion.
3. Assign and clarify the roles and responsibilities Assign the task to the team members based on their talent. Once the assignment is made, clarify the roles and the responsibilities of each member in the team.
4. Create a project schedule based on the timeline Always plan and create a project schedule based on the timeline. The schedule should be strictly followed by all the members in the team to avoid discrepancies in the timeline. Each and every member in the team is responsible to complete the assigned task as per the schedule.
5. Conduct brainstorming sessions and meetings regularly Conduct meetings regularly and discuss about the progress of the work. Make sure the progress rate is high. Make all the members of the team to speak in the meeting. Always asks for the concerns and the difficulties which the team members are facing. Discuss about the concerns and try to solve the concerns and the difficulties of the members at the earliest.
6. Value the opinions of the team members Don't act as if you are the leader of the team. All the members in the team are leaders. Conduct group discussion with the team members and get ideas out of all the members. Value the opinions of the team members. Discuss about the positive and the negatives involved in the opinion of the members and finalize the decision.
7. Be friendly with the team members Trust and respect the team members. Be friendly with the team members. Stand as one family while working. Help each other to develop the skills all the time. If your partner is not able to complete a task, help them in completing the task. Nothing is wrong in helping others to complete a task. As a team, each and every one is responsible to complete the task as a whole.
8. Appreciate good work Take time to appreciate the effort of an individual in the team. Always use opportunities to thank the team members. Do not strict yourself to negative feedback. Try to share positive feedback as well. Don't hurt or insult the team members. While sharing the negative feedback, explain the members in a clear and a proper manner.
9. Arrange team lunch and team outing Always have a good rapport with the team members. Speak a lot with the team members to get to know about them. Arrange team lunch, break and outing with the team members. Going out for team lunch and other places will break the shyness, ego and the distance between the team members and moreover all the members in the team will become friendly.
10. Work with fun Always engage in work with the team members. Instead of working very seriously to achieve the target, work with fun without violating the policies of the organization and try to complete the work on time.
The modern day work place is more and more team oriented rather than individual oriented. This is all the more made significant in IT related sectors.
Earlier( and even now) in large manufacturing units it is mostly an 'assembly line' system. Here also it is actually a team work though not specially specified, but well understood.
It is just like a football match where only team work can succeed, even though each member has a specific role to play.
The utmost factor is to 'integrate'. Integrate the individual thoughts, individual skills and individual efforts to an integrated goal achievement. For that the individual minds and bodies have to be integrated towards a unified team goal or task.
It is'fusion' for that particular task. The points listed in the article are the basics for that fusion.