How to buy online travel insurance for e-ticket railway passengers?
Do you know about online travel insurance scheme offered to railway passenger while booking e-tickets on IRCTC's website? What is the premium amount per passenger, what is the amount of insurance coverage and how to buy it? Read this article to know the answers of these and such other related questions.
IntroductionThe Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC), a subsidiary of the Indian Railways in partnership with three insurance companies viz. ICICI Lombard General Insurance Company Limited, Royal Sundaram General Insurance Company Limited and Shriram General Insurance Company have launched a scheme for providing insurance cover to the travelling passengers and their families. The scheme will cover train accidents as well as other untoward incidents like terrorist attacks, dacoity, rioting, shoot out or arson etc. The train accident cases and 'untoward incident' cases as defined vide section 123 read with sections 142 and 124A of the Railways Act, 1989.
- The scheme is applicable only for Indian citizens. Citizens of foreign countries are not eligible for this scheme.
- The scheme is optional, however in case the option is exercised then all passengers booked under one PNR number will have to compulsorily buy the insurance policy.
- The optional travel insurance is not provided in case of children below 5 years of age.
- The travel insurance is provided by an Insurance Company instead of by the Railways or the ITCTC.
- IRCTC provides only the linkage to transact with the Insurance Company through its website to take insurance cover.
- The policy holders will have to make all correspondence with the Insurance Company directly on their toll-free no. , official email IDs or offices as provided in the policy document.
- Only the Insurance Company will be responsible for all the claims/liabilities etc.
How to buy
- The passengers have to login their IRCTC account at https://www.irctc.co.in/ for booking their e-ticket.
- On the page, where passenger details are filled, under heading 'Travel Insurance', a query appears as- 'Do you want to take travel insurance (Rs. 00.92 per passenger?)'
- The passenger can either opt for 'No' or ' Yes and I accept the Terms and Conditions of the Travel Insurance Policy'.
- On buying the ticket after making a successful payment, the passenger will receive policy information through SMS on registered mobile number and through Email directly from the Insurance Company along with a link to fill nomination detail.
- Policy Number details can be seen on Ticket booked history at IRCTC Page.
- The nomination details are to be filled at the website of the insurance company.
- In case the nomination details is not filled then the settlement of the claim is made with legal heirs of the passengers, in case claim arises.
- Once the premium is paid by the passengers no cancellations is allowed.
- The travel insurance will cover following -
- Permanent total disability - Rs. 10,00,000
- Permanent partial disability - Rs. 7,50,000
- Hospitalization expenses for injury - Rs. 2,00,000
- Transportation of mortal remains - Rs. 10,000
- The coverage for hospitalization expenses for Injury is over and above the death/permanent total disability/partial disability
- The premium amount is Rs. 00.92 per passenger which includes all taxes.
- The Travel Insurance Scheme is uniform for passengers of all classes.
- No cancelleations of the insurance is allowed, once premium is paid and no refund of premium will be made.
ConclusionThe railway passengers who wish to buy online travel insurance plan should study the information about disclaimer, terms & conditions, policy details, exceptions, claims procedure and documentation, claims settlement/rejections, arbitration and grievances etc. made available on the website of IRCTC before proceeding ahead to buy the online travel insurance policy. However, coverage up to Rs. 10 lakh on payment of a premium of Rs. 00.92 only appears to be an attractive scheme.