What is eTV?Besides issuing a traditional tourist visa, Indian government is now electronically issuing e-Tourist Visa (eTV) for foreign travelers visiting India. The procedure for e-Tourist Visa involves an online application process.
Eligibility for applying for eTV
- International travelers visiting India for the following purposes only:
- recreation / sight seeing
- casual visit to meet friends / relatives
- short duration medical treatment
- casual business visit
- International travelers with valid passport with at least 6 months of validity from the date of arrival in India. There should be at least 2 blank pages in the passport for stamping by the Immigration officer.
- International travelers need to have sufficient money during their stay in India and should have an onward journey ticket / return ticket.
- International travelers with Pakistani origin / with Pakistani passport need to apply for regular visa at Indian mission.
- eTV is not available for the following International travelers:
- Diplomatic /official passport holders
- Individuals who are endorsed on parent's / spouse's passport
- International travel document holders
Also read: Travel Guide to Foreign Travelers - Essential Travel Items to Carry While Traveling to India
- Nationals of the following countries / territories have eTV facility:
- Albania, Andorra, Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Austria
- Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Belize, Bolivia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria
- Cambodia, Canada, Cape Verde, Cayman Island, Chile, China, China- SAR Hongkong, China- SAR Macau, Colombia, Comoros, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cote d'lvoire, Croatia, Cuba, Czech Republic
- Denmark, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic
- East Timor, Ecuador, El Salvador, Eritrea, Estonia
- Fiji, Finland, France
- Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guyana
- Haiti, Honduras, Hungary
- Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Israel
- Jamaica, Japan, Jordan
- Kenya, Kiribati
- Laos, Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg
- Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Montserrat, Mozambique, Myanmar
- Namibia, Nauru, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niue Island, Norway
- Palau, Palestine, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal
- Republic of Korea, Republic of Macedonia, Romania, Russia
- Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent & the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Suriname, Swaziland, Sweden, Switzerland
- Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Tonga, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos Island, Tuvalu
- U.A.E, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Uruguay, U.S.A
- Vanuatu, Vatican City-Holy See, Venezuela, Vietnam
- Zambia and Zimbabwe
Also read Tips to stay comfortable in long international flights
- If you are an applicant of the eligible country / territory, apply online at least 4 days prior to your arrival in India selecting 30 days window. For e.g if you are applying on March 1st, you need to select the arrival date from March 5th to April 4th.
- Upload your front facing recent photo with white background.
- Upload the photo page of your passport that contains your personal details like name, date of birth, nationality, expiry date etc. If the uploaded document and photo are not clear or is not as per the specifications, then the application is liable to be rejected.
- Fees are divided into four slabs of 0, 25 USD, 48 USD and 60 USD, depending on nationality (based on reciprocity)
- Fees depend on the country / territory with a minimum of $00 to a maximum of $60. There will be an additional 2.5% additional bank transaction charges. Pay the fees at least 4 days before the expected date of your travel, if not your application will not be processed.
- Fee once paid is not refunded. The fee is for processing the application and do not depend on granting / rejection of e-visa.
- Carry a copy of your eTV at the time of traveling.
- Your biometric details will be compulsorily captured at Immigration on your arrival in India.
- Your e-Visa is valid for 30 days from the date of your arrival in India.
- eTV is valid for getting entry through the designated international airports in the following places in India:
- Ahmedabad, Amritsar
- Chennai, Cochin
- Gaya, Goa
- Tiruchirapalli, Trivandrum
- And you can take exit from any of the authorized Immigration Check Posts (ICPs) in India.
- You can avail this (eTV) facility in addition to your existing visa services.
- eTV is allow for a maximum of 2 visits to India in a calendar year.
- The issued eTV on arrival is only for single entry. It is non-extendable and non-convertible. It is also not valid for visiting protected / restricted areas / cantonment areas.
- You can track online the status of your application by clicking on 'Visa status'.
- You need to be careful while making online payment for eTV fee. If you fail in 3 attempts, you application id would be blocked and you need to apply afresh by filling the form again and regenerate a new application id.
- Payment status update of your eTV fee may take up to 2 hours. You are advised to wait for 2 hours before payment of Visa fee again.
- In cases your eTV fee is deducted but status is not updated, you need verify the payment status by clicking on 'Verify Payment/Pay Visa Fee' tab or by clicking on the link "Verify Payment".
- You need to wait for 4 hours for payment status update, before you re-apply. After the final submission of the application form and payment of the fee, it may take up to 4 hours for payment status update.
- Nationals of Yellow Fever affected countries must carry YELLOW FEVER VACCINATION CARD at the time of arrival in India. Otherwise they may be quarantined for 6 days on their arrival in India.
For any assistance you can call 24 * 7 Visa support center at +91-11-24300666 or send email to email@example.com.
Read: Important travel tips while traveling in Indian Railways
Documents RequiredFollowing documents are required for e-Tourist Visa :
- Scanned 1st page of your passport in PDF format of minimum 10 KB and maximum 300 KB size.
- The uploaded digital photo along with visa application should be in JPEG format with minimum 10 KB and maximum 1 MB size. The height and width of the photo should be of equal measurement. Photo should have the applicant's full face with eyes open and in front view. The centre head should be within the frame and the full head should cover from the top of the hair to the bottom of the chin. It should have a plain light color or white background should without any shadows on the face or on the background and without borders.
Read on: How can a foreign tourist deal with beggars in India