Health Benefits of Cinnamon
If you are cooking biryani or pulao then can you do without cinnamon? Most certainly you cannot. It is the spice that makes a chicken biryani what it is. Without cinnamon a biryani is just chicken and rice. But has anyone thought about the health benefits of cinnamon ? Well, I am giving you food for thought.
IntroductionIf you are cooking biryani, the first spice that you will think of buying from the market is cinnamon. Without cinnamon and cardamom a chicken biryani is just chicken and rice. Cinnamon is a very costly spice and it is a part of garama masala. few other spices are cloves and pepper. Apart from cooking aspects there are so many health benefits of Cinnamon still unknown to us. So Let's discuss in detail about the unknown health benefits of cinnamon.
Uses of cinnamon in cookingYou can use cinnamon sticks or cinnamon paste or cinnamon powder in cooking. Among them cinnamon paste is the best mode of cinnamon in cooking. If you ask your grandmother, probably she will also say that she likes best, cooking with cinnamon paste. The flavor of this paste is sweet and although it is a spice it adds the sweetness quotient in the dish. If you chew a cooked cinnamon in rice then you will find it to be sweet. Chewing cinnamon sticks is good to cure cough. In fact, there are many more health benefits of cinnamon which I will be discussing in the next section.
Health benefits of Cinnamon
- Just like ginger and honey it is a good home remedy for people suffering form cough and cold. In fact it is even good for respiratory tract infections.
- Blood sugar control is an important health benefit of neem which is already read by us in the article of medicinal value of neem. Similarly One of the best health benefits of cinnamon is it's ability in controlling blood sugar level
- This next tip is for girls. Cinnamon powder helps in curing menstrual cramps. You can either eat dishes where cinnamon powder is used or you can take pills that has cinnamon as one of the ingredients.
- Cinnamon sticks help rejuvenating the blood circulation, which again helps during the menstruation cycles of girls.
- The next benefit is related to the previous benefit. Just like onions it controls the cholesterol level. This means it scrapes of the cholesterol deposition of the arteries. As a result, it helps in proper blood circulation.This trait is also considered to be one of the best-known health benefits of cinnamon
- Just recently, we have experienced a cold wintry weather. Now we are in a passing phase where winter is leaving and summer will be approaching in the next month. Such a weather is an ideal one to catch cold and arthritis pain. I have already mentioned that cinnamon is good for cold. But did you know that cinnamon powder is used to make the medicines curing arthritis?
- Lastly, the oil prepared form crushing cinnamon sticks can be used as a mosquito repellent. This oil has a typical smell that is also disliked by other insects like cockroaches, spiders etc. You can buy any Ayurveda oil which contains cinnamon to drive mosquitoes and other insects away from your home.
ConclusionCinnamon sticks are one most used garam masala besides cloves in rice preparations. In fact, many people like chewing cinnamon sticks in jeera rice or biriyani. But did they know while chewing those sticks they are helping their own body in so many ways? Cinnamon regulates blood sugar, reduces joint pain and helps in proper blood circulation. This means the health benefits of cinnamon have a significant role to play in our daily life