How to apply for IIT JAM entrance examination
Do you want to pursue post graduation from IITs, IISc or other prestigious colleges of India? Are you an IIT-JAM aspirant? This article provides information about the application procedure covering all important aspects such as eligibility, format, filling of application form etc.
Introduction The Joint Admission Test for M.Sc. (JAM) is an entrance test conducted by IITs for admission to Master of Science (M.Sc.) and other post graduate science courses at engineering institutes in India like the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Indian Institute of Science (IISc), Indian Institute of Science education and Research (IISER) and National Institute of Technology (NIT). IITs started organising JAM from the academic year 2004-2005.
Following are the courses to which admissions are made on the basis of performance in JAM:-
- Joint M.Sc. – Ph.D.
- M.Sc. – Ph.D. dual degree
- M.Sc. – M.Tech
- Integrated Ph.D. course at IISc and IISERs
Subjects JAM examination is conducted for the following subjects (Paper codes are mentioned alongside the subject):-
- Biological Sciences (BL)
- Biotechnology (BT)
- Chemistry (CY)
- Geology (GG)
- Mathematics (MA)
- Mathematical Statistics (MS)
- Physics (PH)
Format The duration of the exam is 3 hours and will be conducted in English only. A total of 60 questions will be asked in the examination. These questions are divided into 3 sections: -
- The first section consists of 30 multiple choice questions; first 10 questions carry 1 mark each while the next twenty questions carry 2 marks each.
- The second section consists of 10 multi select questions.
- The third section consists of 20 numerical type questions.
- There is negative marking in the first section for each wrong answer with penalty being one-third of the marks carried by that question.
- There is no negative marking for second and third section.
- There is no negative marking for a question left unattempted.
How to fill the application form The application form will be filled online only. Following are the steps to be followed: -
- Register on the website entering your name, email address, phone number and password.
- On successful registration, you will receive an email with your enrolment ID.
- Using this ID, log in to the website where you have to fill your personal details, academic qualifications and other relevant details.
- Upload scanned images of your photograph, signature and SC/ST/PwD certificate ( if applicable)
- Make online fee payment using Debit/Credit card or net banking.
Note: - For female candidates, candidates belonging to SC/ST/PwD category, application fee is Rs.750 for one test paper and Rs. 1050 for two test papers. For general and OBC category, it is Rs. 1500 for one test paper and Rs. 2100 for two test papers.
- Check all the entries and submit the application form. Take a print out for future references.
Eligibility Criteria Students should check if they fulfil the following eligibility criteria before applying: -
- Nationality: - Indian/Foreign
- Qualification: -Bachelors' degree in any science course from a recognized college or university satisfying the percentage criteria.
- Percentage criteria: - Minimum 55% marks for general and OBC-NCL candidates; 50% for SC/ST and PwD candidates.
- Students in the final year of Bachelors' degree can also apply for provisional admission on following conditions: -
- All parts of their final examinations should be finished by the time of registration to the admitting institute.
- They have to submit the proof of passing the qualifying exam by September of their first academic year to the admitting institute.
On failing to satisfy the above conditions, their admission will be terminated.
Important dates for IIT JAM 2018 The official dates are yet to be announced. These are just approximate dates based on previous years' trend.
- Release of application form – First week of September 2017
- Last date for submission of application form, uploading relevant documents, fee payment – Second week of October 2017.
- Admit card available on website – Second week of January 2018
- Examination date – Second or third week of February 2018
- Announcement of result – Last week of March 2018
- Submission of admission form – Second to fourth week of April 2018
- Release of first admission list – First week of June 2018
- Release of second admission list – Third week of June 2018
- Release of third and final admission list – First week of July 2018
Note The various dates mentioned above are generally the same every year. So, the above dates are equally applicable for the next sessions also. Ex: - For IIT JAM 2019, the application form will be released in the first week of September 2018 and final admission list will be declared by the first week of July 2019.
Other important details
- The syllabus for each subject is given on the official website jam.iitd.ac.in/.
- Admissions will be based on the AIR (All India Rank) of the candidate. Refer to the official website for previous years cut off ranks for different IITs.
- For admission into IISc and IISERs, separate forms have to be filled. You will be shortlisted for interview on the basis of your performance in JAM examination. Admission will be granted on the basis of performance in interview.
Note: - There is no interview for admission to IITs (except for few courses). Admission will be granted solely on the basis of AIR in JAM examination. Refer to the brochure given in the official site to know more about the courses for which interview is required.