How to take care before the floods
How to take care during the floods
How to take care after floods
Things to do when you need to relocate or evacuate
A very good article on how to be safe during floods. Every year flood hits a large part of our country causing heavy loss to life and property. These tips are really helpful in dealing with havoc of floods.
It is advisable to take some dry food and water bottles during flood. Water is basic need of men and during flood when every hand-pump and wells will be under water. It becomes very hard to get clean drinking water. The situation reminds of the line "water, water everywhere but not a drop to drink". People are advised to take necessary medicines, papers of their home and land, a torch light, dry food items and most important a stick because during floods large number of animals living in burrows came out like snakes and scorpion which are very dangerous to life.
Help others, keep tuned to radio and television for latest updates. Look for some high ground in advance or better shift to some relatives who are out of flood danger zone immediately after the flood alert.
When floods are imminent it is best to evacuate. However, if you cannot leave then the next best thing to do is be prepared for every eventuality. Here are a few precautions that people expecting to be inundated can take. Stock up on the following items -
1. A tube of mosquito repellent
2. Candles and matchbox
3. Basic medicines for fever, cough & cold, headache, joint pains and upset stomach for adults and children
4. Medicine for chronic health conditions such as BP, diabetes and allergies etc.
5. Milk powder
6. Edibles such as biscuits and mixture and other foods that do not require cooking
7. Rice, wheat flour, pulses, onions, potatoes, masalas, oil and other edible items that have a long shelf life and can be used to prepare simple meals
8. Drinking water – use bottles and vessels to store drinking water
9. Tablets to purify water
10. Sanitary towels for women
11. Diapers for children
Thank you Gaurav and Juana for reading and giving tips. I would like to mention here that first and foremost help is being preparedness. Every year there is flooding in some parts of our country. People should be alert and move to a safer place before the onset of rains or floods. As they have been experiencing this for years, year after year, they need to take measures to avoid undue suffering and agony. It is a pathetic state that people do not get the basic things for survival. They suffer emotionally and psychologically. Medical help will also be out of reach. More awareness has to be created through campaigns by organizing street plays and demonstrations to help people to equip themselves for safety measures. Social organizations should create large scale awareness program to enlighten and educate people about floods. People should be alert, listen to news, read the newspaper, get information about the situation. Children are worst affected. At a tender age they have to battle for life. In schools, time to be allotted to teach children how to stay safe during floods. They are to be trained to equip themselves how to deal with several aspects, when there is flooding such as food, clothing, shelter. emergency things required, safe guarding important papers, materials, how to care for others, how to take care of one self, how to give first aid, how to protect from diseases, dangerous animals etc. Training should be given to children to build in them strong psychological and emotional balance for them to deal with. Through skits, role plays, dramas, screening, talks and mock sessions children can be taught how to cope with situations like natural calamities. Life saving skills can be taught to them to save life, property and how to survive. Children when young are quick to learn the skills. As they grow up they get equipped with strong skills and may help in dealing with situations in reality and also more efficiently.
A well written article by the author. Natural calamities like flood, earthquake, avalanche etc. are some of the major causes that play havoc in the life of men and livestock. In India, thousands of people die or become homeless every year because of these calamities.
Out of all these calamities, flood is most common in rural areas situated mostly on riverbanks. Many reasons can be attributed to flood. Some of them are:
1. Heavy or torrential rain.
2. Releasing excess water from dams and barrages.
3. Blockage of river path by silt or unauthorized constructions.
Plight of people during flood-
1. People living in flood effected areas loses almost everything.
2. Sometimes, they need to evacuate their houses without bothering for their material belongings or livestock.
3. Supply of food stuff becomes exhausted and people have to starve.
4. Availability of potable water becomes nightmarish.
5. Cases of snake-bite and attack of wild animals increase manifold as the creatures also lose their homes.
Aftermath of flood=
1.Epidemic spreads rapidly.
2.People suffer from many water-borne diseases due to use of contaminated water.
3.Standing crops in the fields get partially or completely destroyed.
What can we do to help the flood victims-
1.Open relief camps for them with arrangements for shelter, food, medicines and other necessities of daily life till help from the administration arrives.
2.Provide old clothes to them.
3. Help them to start life afresh as the flood water recedes.