IntroductionRobotics is the branch of engineering, which can be considered as a combination of disciplines like Electronics Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Computer Science. In the Robotics field, automatic machines are dealt, which are having qualities similar to the human beings. Robots come in different shapes and sizes and can range from simple robotic arm to very complex humanoid robots, which resembles human. These humanoid robots can walk, run as well as perform functions similar to humans.There is a huge importance of robots in the current world as they can perform the tasks similar to humans.
Benefits rendered by RoboticsSome of the benefits, which the innovation of robots has rendered to the society, are
- The robots can work in the hazardous environment, where it is difficult for the human beings to work.
- As the robots are machines, they can perform the tasks in a shorter time as compared to the humans. Thus a lot of time savings can be realized by utilizing robots in place of humans.
- Higher accuracy can be achieved by employing robots in place of humans. As the robots are machines, we can expect higher accuracy and efficiency as compared to the humans.The current manufacturing system is moving towards the completely automated systems, where the automatic machines as well as robots are employed to perform the tasks accurately as well as effectively.
There are some important features, which are common in all the robots. All the robots have parts as well as elements, which are considered as a robotic system, when taken as a whole. Lets check them one by one.
- Mechanical Linkages : Almost all the robots have specific mechanical structure depending of the task which the robot is intended to perform. The mechanical structure may range from some simple links with few joints to very complex structures having links and joints with multiple degrees of freedom.
- Sensors : The robotic systems are always equipped with one or more sensors. The sensor is a physical element which is intended to sense the outside world's information in different forms. For example a displacement sensor will measure the motion or displacement and a temperature sensor will measure outside temperature
- Actuators : Along with the sensors, all the robotic systems comprise of various actuators to power the system. The actuators are various motors or the elements which impart motion to the linkages. There are different types of actuators like hydraulic, electrical and pneumatic, which all are extensively used in various robotic systems.
- Microprocessor and Power Supply : The robots have an inbuilt brain, which is known as a microprocessor. Based on the information coded in the microprocessor the robot works and takes various decisions. Along with the microprocessor there is a power supply also, which is used to provide electrical power to the complete system. The power source can be DC source or an AC source based on the design of the robot.
ConclusionThus, we have seen that Robotics is a branch which is emerging at a very fast pace in India as well as abroad. The students can make their career in this field and stay ahead in the latest technological world.