Home remedies to reverse premature graying of hair
This article explains various home remedies like the use of Indian gooseberries, curry leaves, Ashwagandha, henna, cow's milk and its butter, Chyawanprash, mustard oil, coconut oil, neem oil and many such products to curb and reverse premature graying of hair.
IntroductionPremature graying of hair may be due to the influence of genetic factor, the presence of underlying disease or due to nutritional deficiency. It is possible to reverse back graying process by following home remedies which are not only simple and effective but also economical when compared with all those creams and commercial products available in the market. These home remedies should be followed regularly and some patience needs to be shown while following them as they provide definite but slow results. These miraculous products available in nature help repair the damaged cells which will increase melanin production and prevent hair fall which in turn will reduce causing any further damage to hair follicles.
Home remedies for gray hair
- Indian gooseberry are considered to be a wondered fruit as it has enormous benefits including its effectiveness in maintaining hair health. The best way to consume it is in powder form or one can even eat fresh gooseberries. Its dried powder is mixed with coconut oil and applied to scalp and hair regularly. It can gradually reverse the process of graying and restore natural shades of hair.
- Curry leaves are also very good for turning gray hair into their natural shade. Increase consumption of curry leaves in daily diet plan or else boil them in coconut oil and then massage it on the scalp.
- To increase melanin production in melanocytes, regularly apply some Ashwagandha which is also known as Indian ginseng on the scalp.
- The ribbed gourd is known for its properties to arrest premature graying of hair. Dice it into small pieces and let it dry. Once dried, soak the dried pieces in olive oil for 3 to 4 days. Boil this mixture until it gives out a dark black color. Use it as a massage oil on the scalp. Use it daily or at least twice a week.
- Both sesame seeds, as well as sesame oil, are good for reversing back graying of hair. Include consumption of sesame seeds in daily diet plan and apply sesame oil on scalp and massage regularly.
- Combine freshly extracted juices of onion and lemon and apply it on scalp for 30 minutes. Later wash hair with mild shampoo and conditioner.
- Neem oil is not only good to get rid of dandruff and head lice but also can curb premature graying of hair if regularly applied on scalp and hair. Its uses have been mentioned in Ayurveda and it has been used for a long period of time because of its various hair health-related benefits.
- Henna is an excellent product used since age-old times for hair care. It not only is used as a natural coloring agent but also can stop premature graying of hair. To provide nourishment to the roots, use the pack which is created by mixing henna, curd, and eggs. Take 2 tbsp of henna powder and 1 tbsp of curd. Break open an egg in it. Mix it properly and apply this pack on roots and hair strands. Let it remain for almost 30 minutes before washing hair.
- Enzymes are present in cow's milk as well as in butter made out of it. These enzymes are effective to fight against premature graying of hair and if cow's milk or butter is applied on the scalp regularly then gradually it can turn the gray or white hair back to their original shade.
- When it comes to cleansing hair, no product provides an efficient cleansing as shikakai does. Also, it can stop graying. Take certain shikakai pods depending on the length of the hair. Grind them into a fine powder. Prepare a solution by mixing the shikakai powder with curd. Apply this solution to hair and gently massage into the roots. Let it remain there for 15-20 minutes before rinsing hair with water.
- It is mentioned in Chinese medicine that regular consumption of ginger along with honey can effectively curb graying.
- Extract juice from Amla and mix it with equal quantities of almond oil and lemon juice. Apply it to scalp and massage gently every night just before going to bed. This mixture will work throughout the night and goodness of Amla, almond oil, and lemon juice will start showing their effect within few days.
- Mix Bhringaraj, black sesame seeds and Indian gooseberries in the ratio of 2:1:1 and drink this mixture with milk twice a day to get good results.
- Chyawanprash is an Ayurvedic preparation having a jam-like consistency and is a good product for health as it contains an enormous number of different herbs, spices, fruits, and oils. Regularly taking it with milk can boost overall health as well as provide enough nutrients to reverse the process of graying if it is due to any nutritional deficiency.
- Use black seed oil to curb premature graying of hair. If it is not available then grind some black seeds which actually seed of onion and try to extract oil from them. Before applying this oil on the scalp, make sure to warm it a little. Apply it on the scalp and let it remain there overnight. Wash hair with moisture rich shampoo. Follow this home remedy at least thrice a week until premature graying gets arrested completely.
- Mustard oil is an easily available product in each and every household. It is rich in antioxidants, healthy fats, selenium etc. It not only strengthens hair and give them a healthy glow but also is known for its properties to naturally darken them. This is why if regularly applied, gray and white hair gets concealed naturally. Make sure to use organic mustard oil and warm it before applying for better results. Massage it on hair and scalp and leave it overnight. Cover hair with a shower cap as this oil is very sticky in consistency. Wash hair with shampoo. Also, try to include mustard oil in the daily diet.
- Coconut oil should be regularly used to massage scalp and hair. It not only prevents damage to hair follicles and melanocytes but also slows down premature graying of hair.
- Prepare a strong black tea and once it cools down, add 1 tbsp of iodized table salt to it. Use this solution to massage the scalp and hair and let it remain there for almost an hour before washing and rinsing hair with clean water.
- Once a week, apply freshly extracted lemon juice mixed with coconut oil on scalp and let it sit for an hour. Use a mild shampoo to wash hair.
- Potato peel has lots of starch content in it and thus it can be used as it has a direct effect on reversing the process of graying.
- Rosemary and sage together have proved to be effective in fighting against premature graying of hair. Take half cups of both these herbs and boil them in 2 cups of water for at least 20 -30 minutes. Let the solution stand for a couple of hours. Apply it on hair and scalp and let it remain there until it dries completely. Later rinse hair with clean water. Follow this remedy at least 2-3 times a week.
- One of the best home remedies to reverse the process of graying of hair is to use leaves of Amaranth plant. Shampoo hair and then apply juice which is freshly extracted from leaves of Amaranth on hair. Let it stay on hair for 5 minutes and then rinse with water. Its juice is said to restore the natural color of hair.
ConclusionPremature graying of hair can be delayed or curbed by following home remedies which are not only effective but also very economical. These ingredients are easily available and hardly require extra efforts to get the desired results. Indian gooseberries, curry leaves, Triphala powder, henna, Ashwagandha, neem oil, coconut oil, cow's milk, butter etc are all quite effective to reverse premature graying. Know the Reasons for premature graying of hair and tips on their Management and prevention to deal with them in a better way.