Admission to M.Phil. Degree Courses in the Affiliated Colleges
Applications are invited for admission to M.Phil. Degree courses (Full-Time/Part-Time) in the following Colleges affiliated to this University, for the year 2008-2009.
Eligibility Condition for Admission :
Full Time (One year) : A Master’s degree in the concerned subject of the University of Madras or any other University recognized by the Syndicate as equivalent thereto, provided that those who have qualified
for the Master’s degree prior to 1st January 1991 must have secured a minimum of 50 percent of marks and those who have qualified for the master’s degree on or after 1st January 1991 must have secured a minimum of 55 percent of marks. For SC/ST, Physically Handicapped & Visually Challenged candidates who have
qualified on or after 1st January 1991 a concession of 5 percent of marks shall be given in the minimum eligibility marks.
Part Time (Two years) :
(i) Teachers working in the University departments / (ii) teachers working in Affiliated colleges whose qualifications are approved by the University / (iii) Non-teacher candidates are eligible to do M.Phil Parttime
degree course/(iv) teachers of Polytechnics approved by the Director of the Technical Education or teachers of Higher secondary and High schools approved either by State Board or Central Board of Secondary Education or Educational Instructors of IAF (within the Madras University area) are eligible for
Part time M.Phil for admission, provided if they have secured 55% of marks in their Master’s degree obtained on or after 1.1.91 and no minimum marks is prescribed in their Master’s degree obtained prior to 1.1.91. For SC/ST, Physically Handicapped & Visually Challenged candidates who have qualified on or
after 1st January 1991 a concession of 5 percent of marks shall be given in the minimum eligibility marks.
Conditions for Selection
1. There will be an entrance examination for admission to Full time M.Phil. course conducted by the respective colleges. There will be no entrance examination for Part Time M.Phil. Degree Selection.
2. The Entrance Test will be held after the publication of P.G. Results and the candidates should have to take the examination only in the subject for which he/she has applied for admission and not in the qualifying subject.
3. The Entrance Test will be for 50 marks. The remaining 50 marks is for the qualifying examination in the subject concerned.
COLLEGES AFFILIATED TO THIS UNIVERSITY AND COURSES OFFERED:
1. Presidency College, Chennai - 600 005
Full Time / Part Time : Tamil. Sanskrit, English, History, Geography, Economics, Commerce, Political
Science, Geology, Zoology, Botany, Mathematics, Psychology, Telugu.
Full Time : Physics, Chemistry, Public Administration.
Part Time: Statistics
2. Madras Christian College, Tambaram - 600 059.
Full Time / Part Time : Tamil, English, History, Economics, Political Science, Public Administration,
Philosophy, Statistics, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Botany, Zoology.
3. Loyola College, Chennai - 600 034.
Full Time / Part Time : Social Work, Zoology, Statistics, Physics, Commerce,English, History, Plant Biology
Full Time : Economics, Mathematics, Chemistry.
4. Pachaiyappa's College, Chennai - 600 030.
Full Time / Part Time : Tamil, English, History, Botany, Zoology, Economics
Full Time : Commerce, Philosophy, Mathematics, Chemistry
5. The New College, Chennai - 600 014
Full Time / Part Time : Tamil, Economics, Commerce, Chemistry, Zoology, Arabic, English
6. Ramakrishna Mission Vivekananda College, Chennai - 600 004. (Men Candidates only)
Full Time / Part time : Economics, Mathematics, Sanskrit, Philosophy
Full Time : Botany
7. D.G.Vaishnav College, Chennai - 600 106.
Full Time : Economics, Commerce, Chemistry.
8. D.B.Jain College, Chennai - 600 096
Full Time : Commerce
9. A.M.Jain College, Chennai - 600 114.
Full-time/Part-time: Economics, Physics, Mathematics
UNIVERSITY OF MADRAS
(Established under the Act of Incorporation XXVII of 1857 –
Madras University Act 1923)
10. Queen Mary's College, Chennai - 600 004.
Full Time : Tamil, English, History, Economics, Geography, Home Management (Home Science),
Mathematics, Physics, Botany, Zoology, Music.
11 The Ethiraj College for Women, Chennai - 600 105.
Full Time / Part Time: Chemistry, Botany, Corporate Secretaryship.
Full Time : Tamil, English, History, Economics, Commerce, Zoology, Mathematics
12. Meenakshi College for Women, Chennai - 600 024.
Full Time / Part Time : Tamil
Full Time : History, Mathematics
13. Justice Basheer Ahmed Sayeed Women's College, Chennai - 600 018.
Full Time : Commerce, (i) Textiles and Clothing (Home Science) (ii) Human Development and
Family Studies (Home Science).
Full Time/Part Time: Applied Psychology
14. Stella Maris College, Chennai - 600 086.
Full Time / Part Time : Economics, Mathematics, Social work
Full Time : Fine Arts, English
15. Women's Christian College, Chennai - 600 006.
Full Time : Foods and Nutrition (Home Science), Psychology, Food Service Mgt & Dietetics.
16. Bharathi Women's College, Chennai - 600 108.
Full Time : Bio-Chemistry
17. Quaid-E-Millath Government College for Women, Chennai - 600 002.
Full Time : History, Plant Biology & Plant Biotechnology, Zoology.
18. Chellammal College, Chennai -600 032.
Full Time/Part Time: Tamil
19. Kuppuswami Sastri Research Institute, Chennai - 600 004.
Full Time / Part Time : Sanskrit
20. Centre for Research on New International Economic order, Muttukadu - 603 112.
Full Time : Economics
21. Madras School of Social Work, Chennai - 600 008.
Full Time : Social Work
22. Pachaiyappa's College for Men, Kancheepuram - 631 503.
Full Time/Part Time: History, Commerce.
Full Time : Economics.
23. N.K.T. National College of Education for Women, Chennai - 600 005.
Full Time / Part Time : Education
24. Stella Matutina College of Education, Chennai - 600 083.
Full-time/Part Time : Education
25. St. Christopher's College of Education, Chennai - 600 007.
Full-time/Part-time : Education
26. Meston College of Education, Royapettah, Chennai - 600 014.
Full Time / Part Time : Education
27. Institute of Advanced Study in Education, Saidapet,Chennai - 600 015
Full Time : Education
28. Lady Wellingdon Institute of Advanced Study in Education, Triplicane,Chennai- 600 005.
Full Time / Part Time : Education
29. Defence Services Staff College, Wellington - 643 231 (Nilgiris)
Part Time: Defence and Strategic Studies(For Personnel of Indian Armed Forces only)
30. Asan Memorial College of Arts & Science, Chennai – 601 302.
Full Time : Biochemistry
31. Guru Nanak College, Velacherry, Chennai – 600 042.
Full Time / Part Time : Economics
32. Anna Adarsh College for Women, Chennai 600 040.
Full Time/Part Time: Public Administration
Application forms can be had in person from the University Enquiry Office on payment of Rs.200/- by cash.
Those who want to obtain the application by Post have to send a written requisition with a Demand Draft for a sum of Rs.250/-(Rs.200/- towards cost of Application and Rs.50/- towards postage) drawn in favour of " The Registrar, University of Madras, Chennai-5".
The application can be downloaded from the University website at “unom.ac.in” and submit the same along with a demand draft for Rs.200/- drawn in favour of ‘The Registrar, University of Madras, Chennai’, to avoid delay.
Candidates who belong to SC/ST may obtain the application form free of cost, on submission of attested Xerox copy of the community certificate.
Filled in applications should be sent directly to the Principal of the College concerned.
1. COMMENCEMENT OF DATE OF ISSUE OF APPLCATION FORMS : 12 .06.2008
2. THE LAST DATE FOR THE ISSUE AND RECEIPT OF FILLED IN APPLICATION: 31-07-2008.
The University reserves the right not to conduct any of the above courses, if the circumstances so warrant
No.CBCS/Admn.Notn/2008-09/G2 AD / REGISTRAR i/c.