Resources » Articles/Knowledge Sharing » Syllabus
IT1353 EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Syllabus - Anna University
IT1353 EMBEDDED SYSTEMS 3 0 0 100
To give sufficient background for undertaking embedded systems design.
• To introduce students to the embedded systems, its hardware and software.
• To introduce devices and buses used for embedded networking.
• To explain programming concepts and embedded programming in C and C++.
• To explain real time operating systems, inter-task communication and an exemplary case of MUCOS – IIRTOS.
UNIT I INTRODUCTION TO EMBEDDED SYSTEMS 9
Definition and Classification – Overview of Processors and hardware units in an embedded system – Software embedded into the system – Exemplary Embedded Systems – Embedded Systems on a Chip (SoC) and the use of VLSI designed circuits
UNIT II DEVICES AND BUSES FOR DEVICES NETWORK 9
I/O Devices - Device I/O Types and Examples – Synchronous - Iso-synchronous and Asynchronous Communications from Serial Devices - Examples of Internal Serial-Communication Devices - UART and HDLC - Parallel Port Devices - Sophisticated interfacing features in Devices/Ports- Timer and Counting Devices - ‘12C’, ‘USB’, ‘CAN’ and advanced I/O Serial high speed buses- ISA, PCI, PCI-X, cPCI and advanced buses.
UNIT III PROGRAMMING CONCEPTS AND EMBEDDED PROGRAMMING IN C, C++ 9
Programming in assembly language (ALP) vs. High Level Language - C Program Elements, Macros and functions -Use of Pointers - NULL Pointers - Use of Function Calls – Multiple function calls in a Cyclic Order in the Main Function Pointers – Function Queues and Interrupt Service Routines Queues Pointers – Concepts of EMBEDDED PROGRAMMING in C++ - Objected Oriented Programming – Embedded Programming in C++, ‘C’ Program compilers – Cross compiler – Optimization of memory codes.
UNIT IV REAL TIME OPERATING SYSTEMS – PART - 1 9
Definitions of process, tasks and threads – Clear cut distinction between functions – ISRs and tasks by their characteristics – Operating System Services- Goals – Structures- Kernel - Process Management – Memory Management – Device Management – File System Organisation and Implementation – I/O Subsystems – Interrupt Routines Handling in RTOS, REAL TIME OPERATING SYSTEMS : RTOS Task scheduling models - Handling of task scheduling and latency and deadlines as performance metrics – Co-operative Round Robin Scheduling – Cyclic Scheduling with Time Slicing (Rate Monotonics Co-operative Scheduling) – Preemptive Scheduling Model strategy by a Scheduler – Critical Section Service by a Preemptive Scheduler – Fixed (Static) Real time scheduling of tasks - INTER PROCESS COMMUNICATION AND SYNCHRONISATION – Shared data problem – Use of Semaphore(s) – Priority Inversion Problem and Deadlock Situations – Inter Process Communications using Signals – Semaphore Flag or mutex as Resource key – Message Queues – Mailboxes – Pipes – Virtual (Logical) Sockets – Remote Procedure Calls (RPCs).
UNIT V REAL TIME OPERATING SYSTEMS – PART - 2 9
Study of Micro C/OS-II or Vx Works or Any other popular RTOS – RTOS System Level Functions – Task Service Functions – Time Delay Functions – Memory Allocation Related Functions – Semaphore Related Functions – Mailbox Related Functions – Queue Related Functions – Case Studies of Programming with RTOS – Understanding Case Definition – Multiple Tasks and their functions – Creating a list of tasks – Functions and IPCs – Exemplary Coding Steps.
TOTAL : 45
1. Rajkamal, Embedded Systems Architecture, Programming and Design, TATA McGraw-Hill, First reprint Oct. 2003
1. Steve Heath, Embedded Systems Design, Second Edition-2003, Newnes,
2. David E.Simon, An Embedded Software Primer, Pearson Education Asia, First Indian Reprint 2000.
3. Wayne Wolf, Computers as Components; Principles of Embedded Computing System Design – Harcourt India, Morgan Kaufman Publishers, First Indian Reprint 2001
4. Frank Vahid and Tony Givargis, Embedded Systems Design – A unified Hardware /Software Introduction, John Wiley, 2002.
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
No responses found. Be the first to respond...
Active MembersTodayLast 7 Daysmore...