Resources » Articles/Knowledge Sharing » Syllabus
IT1353 EMBEDDED SYSTEMS Syllabus - Anna University
IT1353 EMBEDDED SYSTEMS 3 0 0 100
To give sufficient background for undertaking embedded systems design.
• To introduce students to the embedded systems, its hardware and software.
• To introduce devices and buses used for embedded networking.
• To explain programming concepts and embedded programming in C and C++.
• To explain real time operating systems, inter-task communication and an exemplary case of MUCOS – IIRTOS.
UNIT I INTRODUCTION TO EMBEDDED SYSTEMS 9
Definition and Classification – Overview of Processors and hardware units in an embedded system – Software embedded into the system – Exemplary Embedded Systems – Embedded Systems on a Chip (SoC) and the use of VLSI designed circuits
UNIT II DEVICES AND BUSES FOR DEVICES NETWORK 9
I/O Devices - Device I/O Types and Examples – Synchronous - Iso-synchronous and Asynchronous Communications from Serial Devices - Examples of Internal Serial-Communication Devices - UART and HDLC - Parallel Port Devices - Sophisticated interfacing features in Devices/Ports- Timer and Counting Devices - ‘12C’, ‘USB’, ‘CAN’ and advanced I/O Serial high speed buses- ISA, PCI, PCI-X, cPCI and advanced buses.
UNIT III PROGRAMMING CONCEPTS AND EMBEDDED PROGRAMMING IN C, C++ 9
Programming in assembly language (ALP) vs. High Level Language - C Program Elements, Macros and functions -Use of Pointers - NULL Pointers - Use of Function Calls – Multiple function calls in a Cyclic Order in the Main Function Pointers – Function Queues and Interrupt Service Routines Queues Pointers – Concepts of EMBEDDED PROGRAMMING in C++ - Objected Oriented Programming – Embedded Programming in C++, ‘C’ Program compilers – Cross compiler – Optimization of memory codes.
UNIT IV REAL TIME OPERATING SYSTEMS – PART - 1 9
Definitions of process, tasks and threads – Clear cut distinction between functions – ISRs and tasks by their characteristics – Operating System Services- Goals – Structures- Kernel - Process Management – Memory Management – Device Management – File System Organisation and Implementation – I/O Subsystems – Interrupt Routines Handling in RTOS, REAL TIME OPERATING SYSTEMS : RTOS Task scheduling models - Handling of task scheduling and latency and deadlines as performance metrics – Co-operative Round Robin Scheduling – Cyclic Scheduling with Time Slicing (Rate Monotonics Co-operative Scheduling) – Preemptive Scheduling Model strategy by a Scheduler – Critical Section Service by a Preemptive Scheduler – Fixed (Static) Real time scheduling of tasks - INTER PROCESS COMMUNICATION AND SYNCHRONISATION – Shared data problem – Use of Semaphore(s) – Priority Inversion Problem and Deadlock Situations – Inter Process Communications using Signals – Semaphore Flag or mutex as Resource key – Message Queues – Mailboxes – Pipes – Virtual (Logical) Sockets – Remote Procedure Calls (RPCs).
UNIT V REAL TIME OPERATING SYSTEMS – PART - 2 9
Study of Micro C/OS-II or Vx Works or Any other popular RTOS – RTOS System Level Functions – Task Service Functions – Time Delay Functions – Memory Allocation Related Functions – Semaphore Related Functions – Mailbox Related Functions – Queue Related Functions – Case Studies of Programming with RTOS – Understanding Case Definition – Multiple Tasks and their functions – Creating a list of tasks – Functions and IPCs – Exemplary Coding Steps.
TOTAL : 45
1. Rajkamal, Embedded Systems Architecture, Programming and Design, TATA McGraw-Hill, First reprint Oct. 2003
1. Steve Heath, Embedded Systems Design, Second Edition-2003, Newnes,
2. David E.Simon, An Embedded Software Primer, Pearson Education Asia, First Indian Reprint 2000.
3. Wayne Wolf, Computers as Components; Principles of Embedded Computing System Design – Harcourt India, Morgan Kaufman Publishers, First Indian Reprint 2001
4. Frank Vahid and Tony Givargis, Embedded Systems Design – A unified Hardware /Software Introduction, John Wiley, 2002.
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
No responses found. Be the first to respond...
Return to Article Index
Active MembersTodayLast 7 Daysmore...