Resources » Articles/Knowledge Sharing » Syllabus
EC1014 TELECOMMUNICATION SWITCHING AND NETWORKS Syllabus - Anna University
EC1014 TELECOMMUNICATION SWITCHING AND NETWORKS 3 0 0 100
• To introduce fundamentals functions of a telecom switching office, namely, digital multiplexing, digital switching and digital subscriber access.
• To introduce a mathematical model for the analysis of telecommunication traffic.
• To introduce the concepts of Frequency and Time division multiplexing.
• To introduce digital multiplexing and digital hierarchy namely SONET / SDH
• To introduce the concepts of space switching, time switching and combination switching, example of a switch namely No.4 ESS Toll switch.
• To introduce the need for network synchronization and study synchronization issues. To outline network control and management issues.
• To study the enhanced local loop systems in digital environment. To introduce ISDN, DSL / ADSL, and fiber optic systems in subscriber loop.
• To introduce statistical modeling of telephone traffic. To study blocking system characteristics and queuing system characteristics.
• To characterize blocking probability holding service time distributions for in speech and data networks.
UNIT I MULTIPLEXING 9
Transmission Systems, FDM Multiplexing and modulation, Time Division Multiplexing, Digital Transmission and Multiplexing: Pulse Transmission, Line Coding, Binary N-Zero Substitution, Digital Biphase, Differential Encoding, Time Division Multiplexing, Time Division Multiplex Loops and Rings.
SONET/SDH: SONET Multiplexing Overview, SONET Frame Formats, SONET Operations, Administration and Maintenance, Payload Framing and Frequency Justification, Virtual Tributaries, DS3 Payload Mapping, E4 Payload Mapping, SONET Optical Standards, SONET Networks. SONET Rings: Unidirectional Path-Switched Ring, Bidirectional Line-Switched Ring.
UNIT II DIGITAL SWITCHING 9
Switching Functions, Space Division Switching, Time Division Switching, two-dimensional Switching: STS Switching, TST Switching, No.4 ESS Toll Switch, Digital Cross-Connect Systems, Digital Switching in an Analog Environment. Elements of SSN07 signaling.
UNIT III NETWORK SYNCHRONIZATION CONTROL AND MANAGEMENT 9
Timing: Timing Recovery: Phase-Locked Loop, Clock Instability, Jitter Measurements, Systematic Jitter. Timing Inaccuracies: Slips, Asynchronous Multiplexing, Network Synchronization, U.S. Network Synchronization, Network Control, Network Management.
UNIT IV DIGITAL SUBSCRIBER ACCESS 9
ISDN: ISDN Basic Rate Access Architecture, ISDN U Interface, ISDN D Channel Protocol. High-Data-Rate Digital Subscriber Loops: Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line, VDSL. Digital Loop Carrier Systems: Universal Digital Loop Carrier Systems, Integrated Digital Loop Carrier Systems, Next-Generation Digital Loop Carrier, Fiber in the Loop, Hybrid Fiber Coax Systems, Voice band Modems: PCM Modems, Local Microwave Distribution Service, Digital Satellite Services.
UNIT V TRAFFIC ANALYSIS 9
Traffic Characterization: Arrival Distributions, Holding Time Distributions, Loss Systems, Network Blocking Probabilities: End-to-End Blocking Probabilities, Overflow Traffic, Delay Systems: Exponential service Times, Constant Service Times, Finite Queues.
1. Bellamy John, “Digital Telephony”, John Wily & Sons, Inc. 3rd edn. 2000.
1. Viswanathan. T., “Telecommunication Switching System and Networks”, Prentice Hall of India Ltd., 1994.
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
No responses found. Be the first to respond...
Return to Article Index
Active MembersTodayLast 7 Daysmore...