Resources » Articles/Knowledge Sharing » Syllabus
Syllabus of University of Pune M.E.Civil (Structures) Semester I-FINITE ELEMENT METHOD
501409: FINITE ELEMENT METHOD
Teaching Scheme: Examination Scheme:
Lectures: 3Hrs/Week Theory Paper:100 Marks
Review of one dimensioned elements of skeletal structures Principle of minimum potential energy, Use of polynomial displacement function. Variational approach for formulation of element stiffness matrix for truss & beam elements.
Two dimensional elements in plane stress / strain problems. CST, LST & Rectangular elements, Standard formulation procedure using variational principle. Use of polynomial displacement functions, Pascal triangle. Requirements for convergence
Shape functions in Cartesian & natural coordinate systems, shape functions for one dimensional element such as truss & beam. Shape function for two dimensioned elements. Concept of isoparametric elements, Jacobion Matrix, Formulation procedure for 2 D quadrilateral isoparametric element in plane elasticity problem.
Three dimensional elements such as Tetrahydron, Hexahydron, shape functions, stress strain relations, isoparametric elements. Axisymmetric elements in axisymmetric problems, stress strain relations, triangular and Quadrilateral elements.
Thin Plate bending elements, various Triangular and Rectangular elements, ACM (Adini, Clough, Melosh) and BFS (Bogner, Fox, Schimdt) elements, Conforming & nonconforming elements, Concept of four noded & eight nodded isoparametric elements, Mindlin’s hypothesis for plate bending element.
Flat & curved shell element, elements for cylindried shells, curved solid element, Ahmad’s degenerated solid element, Pawsey’s eight nodded shell element.
1. J.N. Reddy – An Introduction to the finite element method – Tata McGraw Hill
Publishing Co. Ltd
2. C.S. Krishnamoorthy – Finite Element Analysis – Theory & Programming - Tata
McGraw Hill Publishing Co. Ltd
3. Zienkiewicz & Taylor - The Finite Element Method 4th Edition – Vol – I & II –
McGraw Hill International Edition
4. G.R. Buchanan – Finite Element Analysis Schaum’s outlines - Tata McGraw Hill
Publishing Co. Ltd
5. S.S. Bhavikatti - Finite Element Analysis – New Age International Publishers,
6. S.S. Rao - The Finite Element Method in Engineering 4th Edition - ELSEVIER
7. Robert D. Cook, D.S. Malkus, M.E. Plesha – Concepts & Applications of Finite
Element Analysis – John Wiley & Sons.
8. Segerlind L.J. – Applied Finite Element Analysis - John Wiley & Sons.
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
No responses found. Be the first to respond...