504205 ELECTIVE IV (OPEN)
EMBEDDED AUTOMOTIVE SYSTEMS
Teaching Scheme Examination Scheme
Lectures: 3 Hrs./Week Theory: 100 Marks
Current trends in Automobiles, open loop and closed loop systems - components for electronic
engine management system. Electro magnetic interference suppression. Electromagnetic
compatibility, Electronic dashboard instruments, onboard diagnostic system , security and warming
system. Electronic management of chassis systems. Vehicle motion control. Sensors and actuators,
and their interfacing. Basic sensor arrangement, types of sensors such as- oxygen sensors, crank
angle position sensors- Fuel metering/ vehicle speed sensors and destination sensors, Attitude sensor,
Flow sensor, exhaust temperature, air mass flow sensors. Throttle position sensor, solenoids, stepper
motors, relays. Electronic ignition systems. Types of solid state ignition systems and their principle
of operation. Digital engine control system. Open loop and closed loop control system, Engine
cranking and warm up control. Acceleration enrichment. Deceleration learning and ideal speed
control, Distributor less ignition – Integrated engine control system, Exhaust emission control
engineering. Automotive Embedded systems. PIC, Freescale microcontroller based system. Recent
advances like GLS,GPSS,GMS. Multiprocessor communication using CAN bus. Case study- cruise
control of car. Artificial Intelligence and engine management.
1. William B. Riddens, “Understanding Automotive Electronics”, 5th Edition, Butterworth
Hennimann Woburn, 1998.
2. Young A.P. & Griffiths, “ Automotive Electrical Equipment” , ELBS & New Press-1999.
3. Tom Weather Jr. & Cland c. Ilunter, “ Automotive computers and control system” , Prentice
Hall Inc., New Jersey.
4. Crouse W.H., “ Automobile Electrical Equipment” , Mc Graw Hill Co. Inc., New York ,1995.
5. Bechhold, “ Understanding Automotive Electronic”, SAE,1998.
6. Robert Bosch,” Automotive Hand Book”, SAE (5TH Edition),2000.
No responses found. Be the first to respond...