503205: Elective – II: Artificial Intelligence & its Applications in Power System
Teaching Scheme Examination Scheme
3 Hrs/Week Paper: 100 Marks
Unit I ) Introduction to Artificial Intelligence :
Introduction , Fuzzy systems, Artificial Neural Network (ANN), Expert Systems,
Genetic Algorithm, Evolutionary Programming.
Biological neurons: Function of single biological neuron, function of artificial neuron,
Basic terminology related to artificial neuron.
Characteristics of ANN, Typical applications of ANN such as classification, pattern
Properties, strength of NN, [ 6 Hrs ]
Unit II ) Different Architectures of ANN and Learning Processes :
Different architectures of Neural Network, types of activation function, concept
of Learning with a Teacher, Learning without a Teacher, Learning Tasks (Any two
learning methods and applications) [ 6 Hrs ]
Unit III ) Single Layer Network and Multi-layer Network :
Single Layer Perceptron: architecture – training algorithm, Least – Mean square
algorithm, learning curves, Learning Rate, Annealing techniques.
Feed forward Neural Network(MLP) , Back propagation algorithm. Limitation of Backpropagation
Concept of learning rate, momentum coefficient, Generalization capacity,
[ 8 Hrs ]
Unit IV ) Fuzzy Mathematics :
Basic concept of Fuzzy Logic, Fuzzy set – Basic definition – Mambership function,
Operations of fuzzy sets. [ 6 Hrs ]
Unit V ) Fuzzy Theory :
Fuzzy relations - Fuzzy graphs - Fuzzy analysis – Propositional logic , predictive
logic, Fuzzy set theory. [ 8 Hrs ]
Unit VI ) AI Applications in Power Systems :
Application of ANN and Fuzzy logic in Power System Planning , Operation and
control – load forecasting, Unit Commitment, Load Dispatch and Protection.
[ 6 Hrs ]
1. Simon Haykin, “Neural Networks: A Comprehensive Foundation”, 2nd Edition,
2. Zimmermann, H. J., 'Fuzzy Set Theory and Its Applications', 2nd Edition, Kluwer
3. El Hawaray “Electrical Power Applications with Fuzzy systems”, IEEE Press.
4. Power System Optimisation- D. P. Kothari, J. S. Dhillon, PHI
5. M.Ganesh,”Introduction to fuzzy sets and fuzzy logic” Prentice Hall India.
6. Kelvin Waruicke, Arthur Ekwlle, Raj Agarwal, “AI Techniques in Power System”, IEE
No responses found. Be the first to respond...