511112 Research Methodologies – Elective IV
Teaching Scheme Examination Scheme
Lectures: 3 hrs/week Theory: 100 Marks
Duration: 3 hours
Credits - 3
Nature and objectives of research. Methods of Research: historical, descriptive and
experimental, research process, research approaches, criteria for good research.
2. Research Design
Meaning of research design, need of research design, features of good design, different
research designs, and basic principles of experimental designs, design of experiments.
3. Data collection
Types of data, methods and techniques of data collection, primary and secondary data, meta
analysis, historical methods, content analysis, devices used in data collection, pilot study and
pretest of tools, choice of data collection methods.
4. Processing and analysis of data
Use of statistics for data analysis, measures of central tendency, dispersion, skewness and
relationship. Sampling distributions, sampling theory, determination of sample size, chisquare
test, analysis of variance, multiple regression analysis,
5. Decision making techniques
Application of various decision making techniques such as Analytical Hierarchy Process
(AHP), TOPSIS, neural networks, graph theory, simulated annealing, genetic algorithms,
data envelope analysis (DEA).
6. Interpretation and report writing:
Techniques of interpretation, precautions in interpretation, significance of report writing,
different steps in report writing, layout of research report, mechanics of writing research
1. C.R Kothari, Research Methodology, Wishwa Prakashan
2. P.G Triphati, Research Methodology, Sultan Chand & Sons, N.Delhi
3. Fisher, Design of Experiments, Hafner
4. Stoufferetal, Measurement and Prediction, Wiley, N.York
5. J.W Bames, Statistical Analysis for Engineers and Scientists, McGraw Hill, N.York
6. Donald Cooper, Business Research Methods, Tata McGraw Hill, N.Delhi
7. Bhanwar Lal Garg, Renu Kavdia, Sulochana Agrawal and Umesh Kumar Agrawal, An
Introduction to Research Methodology. RBSA Publications,
8. Rao S. S., “Optimization”, Wiley Eastern, New Delhi, 1995.
9. Montgomery D.C., “Design and analysis of experiments”, Wiley publications.
No responses found. Be the first to respond...