510104D Mobile Computing
Teaching Scheme Examination Scheme
Lectures: 3 Hrs/week Theory: 100 Marks
Total Credits : 03
Applications, history of mobile communication, introduction to GSM system, GSM background,
GSM operational and technical requirements.
GSM network structure, cell layout and frequency planning, mobile station, base station systems,
switching sub systems, home locations, register, Visiting Location Register (VLR), equipment
identity register, echo canceller.
3. Time and Frequency Axis Representation
Time domain representation, structure of TDMA slot with frame; Time organization of signaling
channels, frequency hopping.
4. Mobility Management
Signaling protocols, steps in formation of a call, location updates, MS-PSTN call, PSTN-MS call,
MS-MS call, call handover.
Authentication, encryption, characteristics of SIM, equipment identification
6.Spectral Efficiency of GSM Systems
FDMA, TDMA, CDMA.
7. GSM Protocols
Physical layer, data link layer, MTP3, SCCP, TCAP protocol, Application layers-RR layer, MMlayer,
CC-layer, message formation, MAP protocol-MAP protocol for MM, MAP protocol for
basic service support.
1. Asha Mehrotra, GSM System Engg. ,Artech House
2. Jerry D. Gibson, The Mobile Communication Handbook , IEEE Press
3. William C.Y. Lee, Mobile Communication Design Fundamentals , Wily Series In
4. Jochen Schiller, Mobile Communication, Pearson Education Asia
5. Garg V., Joseph E. Wilkes, “Wireless and personal Communications Systems”, Prentice Hall
No responses found. Be the first to respond...