510105D Embedded System Design
Teaching Scheme Examination Scheme
Lectures: 3 Hrs/week Theory: 100 Marks
Total Credits : 03
1. Introduction to Embedded Systems
Classification, characteristics, design metrics, requirements, trends. Brief Review of Sensors,
signal conditioning and data converters. RAM technology and programming of EPROM.
2. Embedded Hardware
Dedicated processor and General Purpose Processors. 32 bit ARM architecture, High
performance processors- Intel Xscale/IBM PowerPC/MIPS R5000, Development environment.
3. Interfacing of Microprocessor to Peripherals
Buses & protocols, ISA, EISA, PCI, ARM, I 2C, CAN, FIREWIRE, USB. Wireless protocol:
Bluetooth and IEEE 802.11, 802.15, 802.16.: Introduction, features, area of applications.
Interface for IRDA, SMART card and WEB enabling. Case study of emerging Serial and Parallel
Bus standards (USB 2.0, IEEE1394,PCI, Compact PCI, PCI-X).
4. Target Devices
Different types of ASICS: FPGA, CPLD architectures.
5. Real Time Operating Systems (RTOS)
OS Services, goals and structures, features, characteristics, process management, memory
management, File system organization and implementation, I/O subsystem, Real time task models
and performance metrics, Real time features of Vx works, WIN CE, QNX , Nucleus, RT Linux.
Network OS, Inter Process communication of Processes, Tasks and Threads , OS Security Issues,
One case study
6. Programming Concept and Embedded Programming
Programming in assembly Language and High level language C /C++ and/OR Java. Compilers
and Cross Compilers, Source Code Engineering Tools, Programme modeling concept in single
and multiprocessor system software, Software Engineering Practices in the Embedded Software
1. Vahid F., Givargies T., “Embedded Systems Design”, John WILEY X SONS 2002
2. Raj Kamal, “Embedded Systems- Architecture, Programming and Design”, TMH 2003
3. Gupta R., “Co-synthesis of Hardware and Software for Digital embedded systems”, Kluwer.
4. Barr M., “RTOS”.
5. Smith M., “Application specific Integrated circuits”.
6 Liu, “Real-Time systems”, Pearson Ed. Asia
7. Manual of ARM processor.
No responses found. Be the first to respond...