514401 : Performance And Evaluation Of Computer System
Teaching Scheme Examination Scheme
Lectures: 3 Hrs/Week Theory: 100 Marks
Total Credits: 03
1. Overview of Performance Evaluation:
Introduction, Selection of Techniques and Metrics, measuring the
reporting performance, Benchmark suites, Amdahl’s law, SPEC CPU
benchmarks, SPEC 95, 2000, server, memory, I/P Performance
Types of workloads, art of workload selection, workload characterization and
techniques. Program execution monitors, Analytical modelling for
2. Digital Networks:
X.25 based networks / ISDN, B-ISDN and ATM Technology, protocol
stack, ATM switches architecture, ADSL. IP based network, IP addressing,
routing IP traffic over ATM n/w, MPLS, GMPLS technology, Voice over IP.
3. Probability Theory and use for evaluation:
Notion of probabilities and basic properties, Continuous random
variables, Bayes theorem, conditional probilities, Discrete and Continuous
random variables, Probabilities Generation function & Laplace transform,
Transformation generation methods. Use for performances evaluation in
networking. Linear regression models.
4. Stochastic Processes:
Stochastic processes, first and second order statistics, stationery
stochastic processes, spectral densities, Brownian Motion Process, Ergodicity.
5. Queuing Theory and Models:
Queuing models, Little theorem application, Markov chain formulation.
Discrete time and Continuous time Markov Chains (DTMC, CTMC), MMD,
Queuing system M/M/1, M/M/1/K, M/M/S/, M/M/¥ queue analysis m-server
case. Multimensional Markov chain application in Circuit Switching.
6. Queuing Theory and Application:
M/G/1 Queue, generalization of M/G/1 theory application to ATM.
Imbedding instants in the M/G/1 theory M/G/1 with geometrically distributed
messages. Chain imbedded to cell transmission, message transmission
completion. Queue balance equation, Finite buffer case, Mean Value Analysis.
7. Network Analysis:
Local area Network analysis, standard comment based analysis,
contention based protocols, demand assignment protocols, nodes in packet
switches networks, performance analysis of data link layer, Network layer.
Traffic control and congestion in ATM networks, TCP/IP Traffic control.
Introduction to simulation, simulation modelling and analysis in
computer systems and networks, analysis of simulation results, Random
Number generation, Statistical analysis of simulation.
Reference Books :
1. The Art of Computer Systems Performance Analysis, by Raj Jain, Wiley,
New York, NY, April 1991.
2. Queuing Theory and Telecommunication by Giovanni Grambene, Springer
3. High Speed Networks and Internets, Performance and Quality of Service,
W. Stallings, 2nd Ed., Prentice Hall, 2002.
4. Performance Evaluation of Communication Networks, G.N. Higginbottom,
Artech House, 1998.
5. Computer Systems Performance Modelling, C.H. Sauer and K.M. Chandy,
6. Simulation Modelling and Analysis by Law and Kelton, McGraw Hill.
7. “The Practical Performance Analyst”, Neil J. Gunther, McGraw Hill, 1998
8. “ Queueing Networks and Markov Chains”, G. Bolch, et al., Wiley 1998.
9. “ Queueing Theory Vol. I and Vol. II”, L.Klenrock.
10. “ Introduction to Computer System Performance Evaluation”, K. Kant,
McGRAW Hill, 1992.
11. “ Probability, Stochastic Processes, and Queuing Theory”, Randolph
Nelson, Springer Verlag, 1995.
No responses found. Be the first to respond...