508105 C: Quality Control Systems and Productivity
Teaching Scheme: Examination Scheme:
Lectures: 3 Hrs. / Week Credits: 3
Theory: 100 Marks
1. Introduction – Understanding Pre-Press, Printing Processes such as Offset, Flexo, Gravure, and Post-
Press, Pre-Press requirements for the processes, Process configurations, Process Variables.
2. Printing Standards – SWOP (Specifications for Web Offset), GRACOL, IFRA, ISO Standards etc,
Implementation of standards for Quality Printing, Standardization of Pre-Press & Press, Calibration
3. Quality Control in Printing – Density, Dot gain, Contrast, Trap, Color deviation, Color Variation,
Quality control aids in Printing, Automatic Viscosity controller, Auto registration marks, Trakatron
Line, Color Spaces, Gamuts, CIE LAB
4. Quality Management – Quality challenges, Fundamental concepts of Quality, Quality Cost,
Specification of Quality, Quality Assurance, Concepts of Six Sigma & its implementation in Printing
5. Statistical Print Process Control – Process, Variations, Types of Variation, implementation of SPC,
Control Charts and its types, Use of Control charts for print application, Control charts for variables,
Control charts for attributes
6. Process Analysis - Understanding Process Capability, Capability indices, Process Performance &
indices, Corrective actions, Parametric and Non-parametric, Analysis of Variance concepts.
1. Ken Holmes, Implementing ISO 9000, PIRA International, 1995.
2. Ken Holmes, Total Quality Management, PIRA International, 1992.
3. Gravure Process and Technology, Gravure Education Foundation and Gravure Association of
4. SWOP Publication.
5. Harry B. Smith, Modern Gravure Technology, Pira International, 1994.
6. Flexography-Principles and Practices, Volume 1-6, FFTA, 5th Edition, 1999.
7. Tony White, High Quality Flexography, Pira International, 1998.
8. Miles Southworth, Donna Southworth, Quality & Productivity in Graphic Arts, Graphic Arts Pub.
9. J. Juran, Handbook of Quality Control, Tata Mc Graw Hill Publication, 5th Edition, 1951.
10. Douglas H. W. Allan, Statistical Quality Control: An Introduction for Management, Reinhold Pub.
No responses found. Be the first to respond...