AT1203 FUELS AND LUBRICANTS 3 0 0 100
To understand the properties of fuels and lubricants for the design and operation of the I.C engines.
1. MANUFACTURE OF FUELS AND LUBRICANTS 9
Structure of petroleum, refining process, fuels, thermal cracking, catalytic cracking, polymerization, alkylation, isomerisation, blending, products of refining process. Manufacture of lubricating oil base stocks, manufacture of finished automotive lubricants.
2. THEORY OF LUBRICATION 9
Engine friction: introduction, total engine friction, effect of engine variables on friction, hydrodynamic lubrication, elasto hydrodynamic lubrication, boundary lubrication, bearing lubrication, functions of the lubrication system, introduction to design of a lubricating system.
3. LUBRICANTS 9
Specific requirements for automotive lubricants, oxidation deterioration and degradation of lubricants, additives and additive mechanism, synthetic lubricants, classification of lubricating oils, properties of lubricating oils, tests on lubricants. Grease, classification, properties, test used in grease.
4. PROPERTIES AND TESTING OF FUELS 9
Thermo-chemistry of fuels, properties and testing of fuels, relative density, calorific value, distillation, vapour pressure, flash point, spontaneous ignition temperature, viscosity, pour point, flammability, ignitability, diesel index, API gravity, aniline point etc.
5. COMBUSTION & FUEL RATING 9
SI Engines – flame propagation and mechanism of combustion, normal combustion, knocking, octane rating, fuel requirements. CI Engine, mechanism of combustion, diesel knock, cetane rating, fuel requirements. Additive - mechanism, requirements of an additive, petrol fuel additives and diesel fuel additives – specifications of fuels.
TOTAL : 45
1. Ganesan.V., “Internal Combustion Engineering”, Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing Co., New Delhi, 2003.
2. M.L. Mathur, R.P.Sharma “A course in internal combustion engines”, Dhanpatrai publication, 2003.
3. Obert.E.F “Internal Combustion Engineering and Air Pollution”, International book Co., 1988.
1. Brame, J.S.S. and King, J.G. – Fuels – Solids, Liquids, Gaseous.
2. Francis, W – Fuels and Fuel Technology, Vol. I & II
3. Hobson, G.D. & Pohl.W- Modern Petroleum Technology
4. A.R.Lansdown – Lubrication – A practical guide to lubricant selection – Pergamon press – 1982.
5. Raymond.C.Gunther – Lubrication – Chilton Book Co., - 1971.
No responses found. Be the first to respond...