Resources » Articles/Knowledge Sharing » Education
Study Tips For Students And Exam Tactics
Write Notes And Answers In Flow Chart Format
What Is Meant By A Flow Chart?
Flow Chart is a special method of writing where we write important points and connect the headings with arrows. We can use different colors to write headings and draw arrows.
What Are The Advantages Of A Flow Chart?
1. It appears very neat and clean to the examiner and moderator who checks answer papers.
2. One can easily read the notes and revise fast.
3. As we don't write complete sentences, it saves a lot of time. This is especially important as many students complain that they can't complete paper in 3 hours or within stipulated time. This type of writing is especially useful for students who are doing engineering, medical, CA, MBA, etc. and similar higher studies.
1. Read complete question paper. This should be the first step when you get question paper. Why?
a. Many a times, question paper itself contains answers to some questions.
b. If student sees many questions for which he can answer well, this adds to his confidence. At the same time, he can plan approximately how much time is to be allotted to answer each question.
2. Suppose a student finds that he can't answer a few questions well. Don't worry. Select the question for which you can answer well. Write this answer first. Always remember " First impression is the last impression". Once examiner reads this answer, he makes an opinion about student and this affects checking all the answers.
3. Keep equal margins from both the sides while writing answer-sheets.
4. Underline the headings. If examiner is in a hurry, he may read only headings and will come to know about student's level.
5. Use Of Colors
You can write main answer in blue ink and headings in black or vice a versa. Don't use red and green colors to underline or write headings. These colors are reserved for examiner and moderators.
This is the key for success for entire life.
1. Give sufficient time for all questions. By this I mean - Don't write in excess for a question which carries less marks. If student does this, he may get less time to write an answer for other question which carries similar or even more marks.
2. Don't leave any question blank. You should write something about every question. Even if you write full details of a question, you will get up to 70% marks. In writing so much, if you don't write anything for other question, you will get 0 marks there. If you write answers to both questions, you may get 50% marks for each answer which when added becomes 100% - that means more than a well-answered single question.
Know Your Weaknesses And Strong Points
If one is weak about certain topic, try to discuss with teachers and friends. Try to make your concepts clear.
One should get knowledge after studying but do see question papers and know what type of questions are asked more frequently.
Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) Format Exams
MCQ exams are gaining more popularity. In such exams, one will be given 4-5 options and will be asked to find the most appropriate answer. Some questions will be straight forward while some will be like " yorker in cricket" - I mean difficult.
What To Do When You Face A Difficult MCQ
Use method of exclusion. This means - Try to find which is not the answer. If you find 2 such options which are unlikely to be the correct answers, only 2 options remain. If you think further and try to remember, you can find out correct answer by eliminating 1 out of the 2. If you can't find out the 1 correct option out of the 2, you have following options -
a. Temporarily leave that question and deal with it later if you get time in the end.
b. If there is no negative marking system, you can still guess and select 1 out of the 2. Even if you are wrong, it won't reduce your marks.
c. If there is a negative marking system, you should not do a guess work as you may lose your marks. In such case, its better to leave question unanswered.
Remember exams are created to help students to get through and enter in a higher class. If you think like this, your whole attitude towards exams changes. Exams and students are friends. If no exams, you can't enter the next higher class. Remember that examiners are also human beings like you and most of them will pass most of the students unless and until the student's performance is very poor.
Tips For Practical / Viva Exams
1. Don't bluff.
If you don't know the answer, say I don't know.
2. Don't Dig Your Own Grave.
By this I mean, don't utter a word about which you don't know or you know very less. While answering any question, tell only those words about which you know more. Most likely examiner will catch one of these words and ask you the next question. This will be the happiest moment for you.
3. Don't Argue With The Examiner.
Don't do this mistake for God's sake. Examiners are always more experienced than student. They are in the same field for years.
3. You should know something about everything so that if your viva starts with any topic, you can answer certain questions.
You need not know everything about everything. Nobody can know this especially when syllabus is very vast like -engineering, medical exams.
Sleep At Least For 6 Hours Before The day Of Exam
This is very important. Many students try to keep awake for the whole night just
before the day of exam. This makes them exhausted -both physically and mentally. They can't memorize the answers properly and performance is affected. They remain in a confused state.
Get more tips at -
So now get ready, study and score.
All The Best
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
Return to Article Index
Active MembersTodayLast 7 Daysmore...