Lectures ( Minimum) 40 Hours
Practical & Demonstrations 60 hours
Total 100 Hours.
1) Introduction, Aims and Scope of Dental Materials.
2) Structure & Behaviour of matters.
3) Important Physical properties applicable to Dental Material including their biological considerations.
4) Considerations of following metals & alloy used in Dentistry and the effect of their exposure in mouth
a) Dental Amalgam
b) Gold and Gold Foil
c) Stainless Steel
d) Chrome - Cobalt alloys
e) Nickel - Chrome alloys
f) Casting gold alloys and other alloys used in Dentistry
5) Gypsum Products :- Manufacturing, Chemical, Physical & Mechanical properties, uses & manipulation.
6) Impression Materials -- General requirements, Classification, composition, manipulation, properties and clinical application.
7) Synthetic resins used in Dentistry.
a) Denture base materials
b) Repair & reline material
c) Soft liners & tissue conditioners
d) Filled and unfilled Resins as Restorative materials.
8) Dental Waxes - Classification, varieties, Composition, Properties, manipulation & uses.
9) Dental Casting investments - Types, Composition, manipulation & properties.
10) Dental Casting procedures ( in brief ) - Preparation of die/model - Wax pattern, Sprueing, investing - Burnout procedures -Compensation of casting shrinkage, furnaces and muffles and various casting machines. Defects in casting - finishing & polishing of castings.
11) Welding & Soldering - materials & procedure.
12) Abrasive & polishing agents used in dentistry. Mechanism of tooth cutting, burs & points.
13) Dental Cements - Classification, Composition, manipulation properties and uses. Cavity liners and varnishes, Resin cements.
14) Dental Porcelain - General consideration, classification, condensation, firing
procedure and glazing. Porcelain fused to metals ( Metal Ceramics )
Aluminous porcelain & brief introduction about latest advances in porcelain.
15) Root canal filling materials.
16) Die and Models materials.
Electroforming & Electroplating ( in brief )
17) Brief introduction to orthodontic materials.
18) Introduction to the materials used for Dental implant.
19) Brief introduction about the materials used for maxillofacial prostheses.
a) Demonstration of above materials, their identification.
b) Practicals to be conducted for manipulation & study of properties of impression materials. Denture base material & Dental Waxes, Gypsum products. Dental cements & Dental amalgam to inculcate the manipulating skill in students regarding efficient handling of these materials.
Examination ( Theory Paper Pattern )
i) Each paper shall be of three hours duration and each practical / clinical examination shall not exceed 5 hours duration.
ii) Not more than 30 candidates in clinical / practicals should be examined in one day.
iii) Written ( Theory ) paper shall have three parts :
A) Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ) for 20 marks - 20 marks questions shall be answered by students in a separate Answer sheet, within first 20 minutes. This answer sheets to be collected by invigilators immediately after 20 minutes completion.
B) 1) Short Answer Questions (SAQ) for 20 marks.
2) Long Answers questions ( Essay type) for 20 marks to be answered only after collecting MCQ answer sheet in remining time of 2 hrs 40 min. Short answer question and Essay type questions will be included in Section I & Section II