CPMT General Chemistry Syllabus
Section-A : General Chemistry
1. Discovery and Properties of electron, proton, neutron.
Elementary ideas of Binding Energy of Nucleus,
Electronic configuration, electronic shells, subshells,
Quantum number, Pauli’s exclusion principle.
2. Detailed study of Electrovalent, covalent (including
Kossels theory) and coordinate valence bonds and
Electronic structure of compounds.
3. Radioactivity, Natural and Artificial disintegration, half
life, fission and fusion, isotopes and isobars,
radioactive isotopes and their uses.
4. Electrode potential and electrochemical series.
5. Oxidation and reduction reactions, oxidation number,
balancing of equations by oxidation number and
6. Laws of gases, gas equation, Dalton Law of partial
pressure, Simple numericals based on Graham’s Law
7. Volumetric analysis and qualitative analysis.