Syllabus of Himachal Pradesh Board of School Education Middle Standard Examination
I. INTRODUCTION :
Home Science is an optional elective subject of study in Classes VI-VIII.
The subject aims at providing a preparation for home and covers essential
ground in the following areas :—
1. Food & Cookery.
2. Laundry & Niddle Work.
3. Home Management
II. OBJECTIVES :
To enable the pupils to :
1. Understand the significance of Home Science.
2. Understand the means of planning and saving time, money and labour.
3. Understand the means of health and hygenic living.
4. Understand the necessity of nutritious & balance diet.
5. Develop the skill to budget according to the income of the family.
6. Inculcate respect for manual labour and love for social work.
7. Inculcate moral values leading to good behaviour and culture.
8. Foster love for home, neighbouhood and society.
III. EXAMINATION :
There will be one written paper (of 3 hours) carrying 60 Max. Marks.
Practical Examination of 40 marks will be conducted by the school concerned.
Question paper for the Practical Examination will also be set by the school
concerned. Practical will be internal as per prescribed syllabus.
Home Science M.M. : 100
One paper (3 horus) 60
As per prescribed syllabus
Practical (Internal only) 40
As per precribed syllabus
Maximum pass marks will be 33% in theory, and 33% in practical
I. Food and Cookery :
1. Balanced diet, food constituents and their importance.
2. Effects of cooking of vitamins.
3. Elementary knowledge of preservation offood.
4. Invalid cookery (cooking & serving of meals for invalids-harley
water, whey water, eff flip, vegetable soup.
II. Laundry and Needle work :
1. Storage and care of cotton, woolen and silken clothes.
2. Methods of removal of strains-tea, blue in greese, themetic (Haldi),
3. Sources and nature of silk fibres-physical properties.
4. Preparation for washing, laundering and finishing of synthetic
III. Home Management :
1. Selection and cleaning of metal brass, iron, steel & aluminium.
2. Keeping personal accounts, hostellers and day scholars (books and
3. Choice of house-location, site, soil and neighbouhood.
4. Arrangement of different rooms i.e. Drawing room, dining-room, bed
1. Cleaning of metals.
2. Stain removal.
3. Preparation of serving tea, snaks (at least two).
4. Embroidering and cusio cover or table-cloth.
5. Making a simple lace with corchet hook (at least eighteen inches).
6. Knitting a baby coat.
7. Drying and pickeling.
8. Preparation of barley water, why water, flip and vegetable soup.
Note :. Each portion in theory paper carries 20 marks.
IV. List of equipment in Home Science for Classes VI-VIII for a group of 20
1. Patilas, with Lid (brass) 20 (Small & Medium size)
2. Karahi (Brass) 20
3. Poni 20
4. Karachhi (Steel) 20
5. Stoves 20
6. Chakla Belan 20
7. Thal 20
8. Kitchen Knives 2 dozen
9. Tea Spoons 2 dozen
10. Tea set 2
11. Full Plates 2 dozen
12. Quarter plates 2 dozen
13. Table mats 1 dozen
14. Forks 1 dozen
15. Knives 1 dozen
16. Bucket (Plastic) 20
17. Chilamchi 20
18. Mugs 20
19. Enamel bowls 20
20. Electric iron (automatic) 2
21. Brushes (collar brush) 2
22. Greater 20
23. Masala box 20
24. Egg beater 20
25. Strainers 20
26. Glass Jars 3 dozen
27. Weighing machines 1
28. Towel 1
29. Glass tumblers 2 dozen
30. Jug 2
31. Polish (food) .
32. Measuring tape 6
33. Pair of Scissors 6
34. Tailors Chalk .
35. Brooms & brushes 6 each