SRI SATHYA SAI UNIVERSITY
Accredited by NAAC at A++ level (www.sssu.edu.in)
Syllabus for M.B.A Progamme
FROM THE BATCH 2009-2010 ONWARDS
MGT 402 (3 Credits)
# To Understand the Basic Issues and Concepts related to Strategic Management and
Learn in Detail the most Relevant and Up to date Methodologies and Tools to
Address these Issues.
# Strategy and the Quest for Competitive Advantage.
# Process of Formulation and Executing Strategy.
# Analyzing Company’s External Environment.
# Analyzing Company’s Resources and Competitive Position.
# The Five Generic Competitive Strategies – Low cost, Differentiation, Best-cost,
# Corporate Portfolio Management, Business Portfolio Analysis, Strategies Evalution
for creating shareholder value.
# Diversification Strategies
# Vertical Integration Strategies.
# Mergers, Acquisition & Takeover Strategies.
# Strategic Alliances & Collaborative Partnerships.
# Outsourcing Strategies.
# Facing Global Competition.
# Managing in Times of Great Change, Learning Organization, Agile Organization.
# Innovation and Intrapreneurship.
# Tailoring Strategy to fit specific Industry and Company Situations – Case Studies.
# Corporate Social Responsibility, Ethical and Social Considerations in Strategy
# Industrial Sickness and turnaround
1. Ed. C.A. Montgomery, M.E. Porter, Strategy – Seeking and Securing Competitive
Advantage, Harvard Business Review Publications, 1991.
2. Peter F. Drucker, Managing in a Time of Great Change, Truman Talley Books /
Plume Penguin Group, 1998.
3. Peter F. Drucker, Innovation & Entrepreneurship, East-West Press Pvt. Ltd., 1991
4. John P. Kotter, Leading Change, Harvard Business School Press, 1996.
5. William C. Miller, Flash of Brilliance – Inspiring Creativity where you Work, Perseus
6. F R David, Strategic Management Concepts and Cases, Prentice Hall of India, 10th
7. A A Thompson Jr., A J Strickland III, J E Gamble, Crafting & Executing Strategy –
The Quest for Competitive Advantage, Tata McGraw Hill, 4th ed., 2005.
8. Jay B Barney, Gaining and Sustaining Competitive Advantage, 2nd ed., Prentice Hall
of India, 2002
9. J David Hunger & Thomas L Wheelen, Essentials of Strategic Management, 3rd ed.,
Prentice Hall of India, 2002.
10. J Garrett Rallis Jr. & Kimberly A Webb, The Nature of Chaos in Business: Using
Complexity to Foster Successful Alliances and Acquisitions, Prentice Hall of India,
11. R Srinivasan, Strategic Management: The Indian Context, 2nd ed., Prentice Hall of
12. Mintzberg, Strategy Safari: The complete Guide through the Wilds of Strategic
Management, Pearson Education India, 2004.
13. Hrebiniak, Making Strategy: Leading Effective Execution and Change, Pearson
Education India, 2004.
14. Prahalad, The Fortune at the Bottom of the Pyramid: Eradicating Poverty through
Profits, Pearson Education India, 2004.
15. Ranjan Das and Udayan Kumar Babu, Corporate Restructuring, Tata McGraw Hill,
16. Ranjan Das, Crafting the Strategy: Concepts and Cases in Strategic Management,
Tata McGraw Hill, 2004.
17. Y Jayachandra & Gita Melkite, Future Prospect: Envisioning E – Business in 2020,
Tata McGraw Hill, 2004.
18. HBR, Harvard Business Review on Strategices for Growth, Harvard Business School
19. P K Mattoo, Corporate Restructuring: an Indian Perspective, Macmillan India, 1998.
20. M J Xavier & S Ramachnder, Beyond Competition: Business Strategies for the 21st
Century, Vikas Publishing, 2002.
21. Richard Koch, Strategy: How to create and deliver a useful strategy, Addison Wesley
Longman, 2nd ed., 2000.
22. Roger A Formisano, Managers Guide to Strategy, Tata McGraw Hill, 2004.
23. Philip Sadler, Strategic Management, 2nd ed., Kogan Page India, 2002.
24. Garth Saloner, Andrea Shepard, Joel Podolny, Strategic Management, John Wiley &
Sons (Asia), 2001.
25. Michael Harris, Value Leadership: Winning Competitive Advantage in the Information
Age, Prentice Hall of India, 2000.
26. John A Pearce II, Richard B Robinson, Jr., Strategic Management: Strategy
Formulation and Implementation, 3rd ed., AITBS Publishers & Distributors, 2002.
27. Julie Sicilliano, C Gopinath, Strategize: Experimental Exercises in Strategic
Management, South-Western, 2002.
28. Mary Pat MCCarthy, Jeff Stein & Rob Brownstein, Agile Business for Fragile Times:
Strategies for Enhancing Competitive Resiliency and Stakeholder Trust, Tata
29. Amit Singh Sisodiya, Business Scenario Planning: Concepts and Cases, ICFAI
30. Jeremy Kourdi, Business Strategy: A guide to effective decision making, London
Profile Books, 2004.
31. Tony Grundy, Gurus on Business Strategy, Viva Books, 2003.
32. T Irene Sanders, Strategic Thinking and the new Science: Planning in the midst of
chaos, Complexity, and change, The Free Press, 1998.
33. Thomas L Wheelen & J David Hunger, Strategic Management and Business Policy:
Concepts, Pearson Education, 8th ed., 2002.
34. John L colley Jr., Jacqueline L Doyle & Robert D Hardie, Corporate Strategy, Tata
McGraw Hill, 2002.
35. John Mills (et.al.), Strategy and Performance: Create a Winning Business Formula,
Cambridge University Press, 2002.
More articles: Syllabus