Pollution is an undesirable change in the physical, chemical or biological characteristics of air, water and soil they may harmfully affect the life or create a health of any living organism and deteriorate our environment.
Types of Pollution:
1. Air pollution
2. Water Pollution
3. Soil Pollution
4. Radiation Pollution
5. Noise Pollution
Effects of pollutions:
1. Sulphur dioxide from industries causes irritation of eyes and acid rain. Carbon monoxide from automobile exhaust causes reduction in and oxygen carrying capacity of blood.
2. Hydrocarbons released from automobile exhaust causes lung cancer.
3. Arsenic from thermal power plants in toxic to plants.
4. Ammonia released from fertilizers, industry causes irritation of mucous membrane, also affects agriculture.
5. Benzene released from automobile exhaust causes lukemia(Blood Cancer) and also causes chomosomal damage.
1. Chromium from industries is toxic and especially from tanneries is carcinogenic.
2. Mercury from pesticides is toxic and causes foetal brain damage.
3. Bacteria from sewage cause cholera, typhoid, hepatitis, dysentery.
4. Selenium from pesticides, industries causes cancer.
5. Loss of marine organisms.
6. Toxic chemicals in fish enter food chain and affect human health.
1. Arsenic pollution leads to a loss of appetite and weight, diarrhoea, gastro intestinal disorders, sometimes skin cancer.
2. Mercury from industrial wastes as methyl mercury is more toxic than any other forms of mercury. It causes neurological problems and damages kidney.
1. Radiations causes cancer, damage the cells, impaired metabolism and death of organisms.
1. Noise level of 80 decibels or more increase tension and changes in breathing patterns. It results in fatigue, hearing loss, changes in blood circulation.
DIAMOND Member - India Study Channel