Concepts and conventions (Not for Examination) 1
Importance of graphics in engineering applications – Use of drafting instruments – BIS conventions and specifications – Size, layout and folding of drawing sheets – Lettering and dimensioning.
UNIT I PLANE CURVES AND FREE HAND SKETCHING 15
Curves used in engineering practices:
Conics – Construction of ellipse, Parabola and hyperbola by eccentricity method – Construction of cycloid – construction of involutes of squad and circle – Drawing of tangents and normal to the above curves.
Free hand sketching:
Representation of Three Dimensional objects – General principles of orthographic projection – Need for importance of multiple views and their placement – First angle projection – layout views – Developing visualization skills through free hand sketching of multiple views from pictorial views of objects.
UNIT II PROJECTION OF POINTS, LINES AND PLANE SURFACES 14
Projection of points and straight lines located in the first quadrant – Determination of true lengths and true inclinations – Projection of polygonal surface and circular lamina inclined to both reference planes.
UNIT III PROJECTION OF SOLIDS 15
Projection of simple solids like prisms, pyramids, cylinder and cone when the axis is inclined to one reference plane by change of position method.
UNIT IV SECTION OF SOLIDS AND DEVELOPMENT OF SURFACES 15
Sectioning of above solids in simple vertical position by cutting planes inclined to one reference plane and perpendicular to the other – Obtaining true shape of section.
Development of lateral surfaces of simple and truncated solids – Prisms, pyramids, cylinders and cones – Development of lateral surfaces of solids with cylindrical cutouts, perpendicular to the axis.
UNIT V ISOMETRIC AND PERSPECTIVE PROJECTIONS 15
Principles of isometric projection – isometric scale – isometric projections of simple solids, truncated prisms, pyramids, cylinders and cones.
Perspective projection of prisms, pyramids and cylinders by visual ray method.
L: 30 T: 45 Total: 75
1. K. V. Natrajan, “A text book of Engineering Graphics”, Dhanalakshmi Publishers, Chennai (2006).
2. M.B. Shah and B.C. Rana, “Engineering Drawing”, Pearson Education (2005).
1. N.D. Bhatt, “Engineering Drawing” Charotar Publishing House, 46th Edition, (2003).
2. Luzadder and Duff, ‘Fundamentals of Engineering Drawing’, Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd. 11th Edition, 2001
3. Dhananjay A.Jolhe, “Engineering Drawing with an introduction to AutoCAD” Tata McGraw Hill Publishing Company Limited (2008).
Publication of Bureau of Indian Standards:
1. IS 10711 – 2001: Technical products Documentation – Size and lay out of drawing sheets.
2. IS 9609 (Parts 0 & 1) – 2001: Technical products Documentation – Lettering.
3. IS 10714 (Part 20) – 2001 & SP 46 – 2003: Lines for technical drawings.
4. IS 11669 – 1986 & SP 46 – 2003: Dimensioning of Technical Drawings.
5. IS 15021 (Parts 1 to 4) – 2001: Technical drawings – Projection Methods.
Special points applicable to University Examinations on Engineering Graphics:
1. There will be five questions, each of either or type covering all units of the syllabus.
2. All questions will carry equal marks of 20 each making a total of 100.
3. The answer paper shall consist of drawing sheets of A3 size only. The students will be permitted to use appropriate scale to fit solution within A3 size.
4. Whenever the total number of candidates in a college exceeds 150, the University Examination in that college will be conducted in two sessions (FN and AN on the same day) for 50 percent of students (approx) at a time.
Did you like this resource? Share it with your friends and show your love!
Responses to "
No responses found. Be the first to respond...
Notify me by email when others post comments to this article.
Do not include your name, "with regards" etc in the comment. Write detailed comment, relevant to the topic.
No HTML formatting and links to other web sites are allowed.
This is a strictly moderated site. Absolutely no spam allowed.
to fill automatically.
(Will not be published, but
to validate comment)
Type the numbers and letters shown on the left.
Subscribe to Email
Get Jobs by Email
Forum posts by Email
Articles by Email
Awards & Gifts
Last 7 Days
arun kumar singh
Vijay Kumar Vishwakarma
ISC Technologies, Kochi - India. © All Rights Reserved.
Click the "Follow" button above to follow Tony John