What are the dates of the Commonwealth Games 2010 India?
October 3rd to October 14th, 2010.
What is the mascot of the Commonwealth Games 2010 India?
Shera the tiger is the mascot of the XIX Commonwealth Games 2010 Delhi. The name is derived from the Hindi word Sher which means tiger. The tiger is the national animal of India.
What is the logo and motto of the Commonwealth Games 2010 India?
The logo: A chakra spiraling upwards; it has been created from the Ashoka Chakra, India’s national symbol that denotes freedom, unity and power.
The motto: Come Out and Play; this motto is to inspire all the athletes to participate in the true spirit of sportsmanship.
How many countries are participating in Commonwealth Games 2010 India?
There are 72 Commonwealth Countries participating in Commonwealth Games 2010 India.
What is the Queen’s Baton Relay at the Commonwealth Games 2010 India?
The Queen’s Baton Relay is a torch relay that is held before the Commonwealth Games. The Baton carries a message from the Queen, who is the Head of the Commonwealth, to the athletes of the Commonwealth Games.
For the 2010 Commonwealth Games, the relay began at The Buckingham Palace on 29 October 2009. The baton will arrive at the Opening Ceremony of the XIX Commonwealth Games 2010 Delhi on 3rd October 2010, after visiting all the nations of the Commonwealth and traveling throughout India
What are the sports disciplines and the dates of each at the Commonwealth Games 2010 India?
There are 17 sports disciplines:
1. Athletics: 46 events for Men & Women
- 44 events will be held from 6 - 12 October
- Marathon will be held on 14 October 2010
- 20 km walk on 9 October 2009
2. Aquatics: These include swimming, diving and synchronized swimming. There are 19 events for Men and 19 events for Women
Dates: 4th to 9th October 2010.
- The Preliminary Rounds will be held from 4 - 6 October
- Remaining Competition will be held from 7- 10 October 2010
4. Badminton: 6 events - Singles and Doubles matches for men and women, Mixed Doubles and Team Mixed.
Dates: 4th to 14th October 2010
5. Boxing: 11 weight categories.
Dates: 5th to 13th October 2010.
6. Cycling: 12 Track events, (eight for men and four for women) and two Road events (Mass Start and time Trial events) for Men & Women.
- Track events will be held from 5th to 8th October 2010
- Mass Start event on 10th October 2010
- Time Trial event on 13th October 2010.
7. Gymnastics: 14 events (8 Men & 6 Women)
- Artistic Gymnastics: 4th to 8th October 2010
- Rhythmic Gymnastics 12th to 14th October 2010
8. Hockey: 2 events – team competitions, men and women
Dates: 4th to 14th October 2010
9. Lawn Bowls: 6 events
Dates: 4th to 13th October 2010
10. Netball: for women only
Dates: 4th to 14th October 2010.
11. Rugby 7s: for men only
Dates: 11th & 12th October 2010
- Trap and Skeet events: 6th to 13th October 2010
- Pistol and Small Bore Rifle: 5th to 13th October 2010
13. Squash: 5 events- Singles (Men and Women), Doubles (Men and Women) and Mixed Doubles.
Dates: 4th 13th October 2010
14. Table Tennis: 7 events – Singles, Doubles and Team (Men and Women) and Mixed Doubles.
Dates: 4th to 14th October 2010
15. Tennis: 5 events – Singles (Men and Women), Doubles (Men and Women) and Mixed Doubles
Dates: 4th and 10th October 2010
16. Weightlifting: 8 weight categories for Men and 7 weight categories for women
Dates: 4th to 12th October 2010
17. Wrestling: 14 (7 Freestyle and 7 Greco Roman) weight categories for men and seven Freestyle weight categories for women.
Dates: 5th to 10th October 2010
What are the Venues of the Commonwealth Games 2010 India?
1. Jawaharlal Nehru Sports Complex
Events: Opening and Closing Ceremonies, Athletics, Lawn Bowls and Weightlifting.
2. Thyagaraj Sports Complex
3. Indira Gandhi Sports Complex
Events: Gymnastics, Cycling andWrestling
4. Yamuna Sports Complex
Events: Table Tennis and Archery Preliminaries
5. Dr. S.P. Mukherjee Swimming Stadium
6. Talkatora Indoor Stadium
7. Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium
8. Siri Fort Sports Complex
Events: Badminton and Squash
9. Dr. Karni Singh Shooting Range
10. R.K. Khanna Tennis Complex
What is the location of the Games Village at the Commonwealth Games 2010 India?
The Games Village, covering over 63 hectares, is located along the east bank of the River Yamuna. All venues are easily accessible from the Games Village. Other than accommodation facilities for athletes and officials, the Games Village has Training Areas for Athletics, Swimming (including a kids pool and a leisure pool), Weightlifting and Wrestling, as well as a Fitness Centre.
Is there a Media Center at the Commonwealth Games 2010 India?
Yes; The Main Media Centre (MMC) comprises the International Broadcasting Centre (IBC) and the Main Press Centre (MPC). It is located near the Games Village and the main venues at Pragati Maidan.
Where to stay at Delhi for the Commonwealth Games 2010 India?
Please refer to the ISC Business Directory for accommodation options – you will find hotels, resorts, serviced apartments, etc.
Can I volunteer for the Commonwealth Games 2010 India?
Yes, definitely! Please see the Volunteer Programme section at the official website for more details.
How do I contact the Organising Committee Commonwealth Games 2010 Delhi?
You can contact the Organising Committee Commonwealth Games 2010 Delhi, at the following address:
New Delhi City Centre – Tower II,
Opposite Jantar Mantar,
Jai Singh Road,
New Delhi 110 001.
Vandana is based in India with over 15 years experience as a freelance writer. Writing, no doubt, is her primary passion! Having learned the art of blogging from ISC, Vandana is enjoying the thrills of blogging, taking pleasure in sharing information & getting good pageviews at her various blogs.
Follow Vandana or read 1013 articles authored by Vandana
More articles: Games
In the forthcoming Commonwealth Games 2010,8 weight categories for Men and 7 weight categories for women are included in the event. Unfortunately, India may be be out of the competition if Internation Weightlifting Federation impose ban on Indian federation. After six lifters involved in dope case, India's fate is still in suspense. Under the international rules,if in a calendar year four or more lifters are positive on banned substances in dope test conducted by WADA, the national federation faces four years in maximum with fine.
Indian Federation is still waiting for the decision of International Federation.