Kochi (Cochin) is known as the Queen of Arabian Sea. This city opens to the Arabian Sea, and has a beautiful water frontage, the Cochin Back waters (part of the Vembanad Lake). This is an old city, where all religious and country cultures got mixed sufficiently early. The Portughese, the Dutch and the English made use of Cochin for their entry into this country. There are several temples,churches and mosques most of them having a history of thousands of years.A minority group, Jews, also have a church in this city which is very old and is being attracted by many tourists.Sikhs also have their own worship centres. education level is very high here with six major colleges (one is almost 140 years old) and about hundred schools.The Lakeside campus of Cochin University, the National University of Advanced Legal Studies and the regional centre of IGNOU are within this city.
The present population of Kochi corporation is about six lakhs, and the area is 94.88 sq.km.spread over in 71 divisions. Though this fall under Ernakulam Parliamentary constituency, there are four Assembly constituencies, Ernakulam, Kochi, Thrippunithura and Thrikkakara. This Corporation came into being in 1967. This is a fast growing city, with lots of investment coming in during the last few years. The suburbs of this city has become a place of attraction for industries especially the IT sector because of the up coming Smart City. The project Container terminal is in an advanced stage. Metro rail project has also been approved. Already there is a construction boom, with hundreds of residential flats coming up.
Cochin Shipyard,Cochin Port, several exporting firms,etc. provide employment to thousands. Different sites including the official website of Kochi corporation will provide more details.( www.corporationofcochin.net/)
Post article related to Kochi
Introduction Kochi (known as Cochin also) is a major city in the Ernakulam district of Kerala. It is a port city on the South-West coast of our country facing to the Arabian Sea and is also known as 'Queen of the Arabian Sea'. As per 2011 census it had a population of about 21 lakh making it the most populous city in Kerala. The city falls under the municipal jurisdiction of the Greater Cochin Development Authority (GCDA).
Kochi has been a great spice trading centre since the 14th century and even had a trade network with merchants from Arabian countries. In the year 1503, it became a Portuguese colony when it was occupied by them but later it was occupied by the Dutch and then the British and finally became a princely state before independence.
As per some studies done by some global professional services, Kochi is supposed to emerge as a future mega city in our country. It is home to many important organisations, institutions and companies like Port of Kochi, International Container Transshipment Terminal, Cochin Shipyard, Cochin Stock Exchange, International Pepper Exchange, Marine Products Export Development Authority, Coconut Development Board, HMT, Apollo Tyres, FACT, TCC, IREL, Petronet LNG, Merchem, HOCL, Kochi Refineries, TELK, V-Guard, Naval Physical and Oceanographic Laboratory (NPOL), Indian Maritime University, Sree Sankaracharya Sanskrit University, Cochin University of Science and Technology, National Law School and National University of Advanced Legal Studies.
The main industrial, business and commercial activities in Kochi comprise of construction, manufacturing, shipbuilding, transportation & shipping, seafood and spices exports, chemical industries, information technology (IT), tourism, health services and banking.
The Kochi-Muziris Biennale (an art biennale) is held in Kochi and many artists and tourists from all over the globe come to attend it.
Kochi has a tropical monsoon climate and due to its vicinity to sea has a moderate to high levels of humidity. Average annual temperatures vary between 23 and 31 degree centigrade. The rainy season is from June to September but some lighter rains also happen from October to December.
Places to Visit There are many places which are the delight of the tourists in Kochi and some of the important ones are as follows.
- Indo-Portuguese Museum - The Indo-Portuguese museum is situated in the Fort Kochi area. It has an attractive collection of old artefacts, architectural relics and antique pieces of the colonial past of Kerala. It is one of the favourite places for the tourists.
- St. Francis CSI Church - It was originally built as a wooden church in the year 1503 and later converted to a stony structure in the year 1516. It exhibits Portuguese architecture and situated in Fort Kochi away from the hustle and bustle of the city. It is one of the oldest European churches in India and has great historical significance and is one of the best tourist attractions in Kochi.
- Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica - It is one of the eight Basilicas in Kerala and was built in the year 1505 and is located in Fort Kochi. It is famous for its Gothic style of architecture and Portuguese interiors. It is one of the heritage churches in India and is visited by tourists the whole year round.
- Vypin Islands - Vypin or Vypeen is a group of islands that form part of the city of Kochi. These are densely populated and are visited for their natural beauty and nice beaches.
- Cherai Beach - It is located on the north end of Vypin Island and is a beautiful sunset point. It is also popular for its golden sand, palm trees and a large expanse of blue water. This is one of the most visited beaches and is situated about 25 km from Kochi and 20 km from Cochin International Airport.
- Hill Palace Museum - It is the largest archeological museum in Kerala, located at Tripunithura, Kochi. It was built in the year 1865. Sprawling in an area of 54 acres it consists of 49 buildings in the traditional architectural style. It has an archaeological museum, a heritage museum, a deer park, a pre-historic park and a children's park.
- Kerala Kathakali Centre - It was founded in 1990 and is a traditional arts center at Fort Cochin. It organises masked Kathakali dance shows and martial arts. This special form of dance is worth seeing and the performance of the dancers is commendable.
- Marine Drive Kochi - The Marine drive is one of the best places to spend time in the city and provides a splendid view of the sea. It is a picturesque place and is built facing the backwaters.
- Bolgatty Palace and Island Resort - This is an old Dutch Palace and is situated on Bolgatty Island. It was constructed in the year 1744 and was the official residence of the then Governor of Kochi. There are waterfront lodging, dining, pool, cruises, a golf course and Ayurvedic treatment centres here.
- Mangalavanam Bird Sanctuary - Mangalavanam Bird Sancuary is a very interesting ecologically sensitive area to visit and is home to a large variety of migratory birds. There is a shallow tidal lake present in its centre and is surrounded by thick mangrove vegetation. A beautiful watch tower overlooks the sanctuary giving a superb view to the tourists and birdwatchers.
- Willingdon Island - Willingdon Island is named after Lord Willingdon, the British Viceroy of India. It is the largest man made island in India, which forms part of the city of Kochi. This is connected to Kochi port by ferry. There are many good hotels and commercial and industrial buildings in this island. It has become a weekend destination for many local people as well as the tourists.
- Jewish Synagogue - Built in the year 1568, this is the most famous and in use Jewish synagogue. It is also known as Cochin Jewish Synagogue or Mattencherry Synagogue. Cameras and handbags are not allowed inside this.
- Mattancherry Palace - It is a Portuguese palace popularly known also as the Dutch Palace, situated in Mattancherry, Kochi. It depicts the portraits and exhibits of the Kings who ruled in Kochi. There are many valuable items like paintings, murals, mythological exhibits in the museum and it is a good place for the people who are interested to know the history of Kerala.
- Fort Kochi - Fort Kochi is a region in the city of Kochi and rekindles the memory of British colonialism in India. The palatial buildings and systematically built up streets and buildings showpiece it like a European town. There is a beautiful beach here along the Arabian Sea.
- Ernakulam Shiva Temple - It is also known as Ernakulathappan temple and is one of the major temples of Kerala, located in heart of the city of Kochi.
- Thrikkakara Vamanamoorthy Temple - It is one of the few temples in India dedicated to Lord Vamana. It contains lithic records of historical value. The spectacular secular Onam feast is hosted every year here in the Malayalee month of Chingam which falls during August and September.
- Ernakulam Mahadev Temple - It is Lord Shiva temple located in the heart of the city of Kochi. The temple festival (Uthsavom) is celebrated with music, Kathakali and classical dances and colourful fire works every year during the month of January - February.
- Andhakaranazhi Beach - It is a serene spot and located at a distance of 30 kms from Kochi in the small village of Andhakaranazhi. It is a virgin beach and not much exploited by commercial activities. There are swimming and fishing areas here with small eateries strewn around.
- Pallipuram Fort - It is located in Pallippuram, on the northern part of the Vypin Island. It is the oldest European Fort built by the Portuguese in the year 1503. The fort architecture is hexagonal, a form which is popularly known as ayikkotta or alikotta in southern India. A visit to this fort is a must to explore the rich history of our past.
- Wonderla Amusement Park - It is an amusement park with over 50 exhilarating rides having options for children as well as adults. There is a 3D film auditorium also.
Accommodation in Kochi There are many hotels ranging from budget hotels to luxury in Kochi and plenty of accommodation options are available. Accommodation is not a problem here.
Educational Facilities in Kochi There are many schools, colleges and educational institutes in Kochi and adjoining areas. Some of them are as follows.
(A) Schools and Colleges:
- Cochin Public School, Cochin public school road, Pipeline Junction, Thrikkakara, Ernakulam, Kerala 682021, Phone: 04842575086.
- Bhavans Vidya Mandir, Desabhimani Road, Elamakkara, Kochi, Kerala 682026, Phone: 04842408514.
- Campion School, Changampuzha Cross Road, Ponekkara, Edappally, Kochi, Kerala 682024, Phone: 04842347613.
- Global Public School, Thiruvaniyoor P.O via Chottanikkara, Kochi, Kerala 682308, Phone: 04842713745.
- Dawn International School, Ward No. 3, Canal Road, Near Ambalamedu, Puthenkurish, Kerala 682308, Phone: 09447577770.
- Vidyodaya School, Edappally - Pukkattupady Road, Thevakkal, Kochi, Kerala 682021, Phone: 04842410972.
- The Charter School Kochi, Vazhanashala - Chemmalapady Road, Near Pukkattupady, Kakkanad, Kochi, Kerala 683561, Phone: 09847918000.
- Naipunnya Public School, Seaport - Airport Rd, Judgemukku, Thrikkakara, Kochi, Kerala 682021, Phone: 04842985321.
- Assisi Vidyaniketan, Near Lourdes College of Nursing, Attipetti Nagar Road, Chembumukku, Edappally, Kochi, Kerala 682021, Phone: 04842424724.
- The Indian Public School, Fr. Abel Nagar, Thalakkottu Moola Road, Edachira, Kochi, Kerala 682030, Phone: 04842424272.
- Al-Ameen Public School, R S 24, NH 66, Near Lulu Mall, Nethaji Nagar, Edappally, Kochi, Kerala 682024, Phone: 04842801034.
- Radcliffe School, XIII/960, Tagore Road, Thakkyavu Road, Karuvelipady, Thoppumpady, Kochi, Kerala 682005, Phone: 04842221740.
- Navy Children School Kochi, Naval Base, Kochi, Kerala 682004, Phone: 04842874793.
- Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, TD Road, Marine Drive, Kochi, Kerala 682011, Phone: 04842351242.
- Cochin Refineries School, FACT Road, Jwalagiri, Ambalamugal, Kochi, Kerala 682302, Phone: 04842823512.
- Rajagiri Christu Jayanthi Public School, Rajagiri Valley P.O., Kakkanad, Kochi, Kerala 682039, Phone: 08592011124.
- Matha Nagar Public School, Gandhinagar Road, Gandhi Nagar, Kadavanthra, Kochi, Kerala 682020, Phone: 04842205129.
- GEMS Modern Academy, Plot B1-4, Smart City, Opp. Infopark Phase II, Brahmapuram, Kochi, Kerala 682303, Phone: 180030021534.
- The Choice School, 53, Nadama East, Karingachira, Thrippunithura, Ernakulam, Kerala 682301, Phone: 04842775692.
- The Cochin College, Indian Bank, Cochin College Road Near South Koovapadam, Chullickal, Kochi, Kerala 682002, Phone: 04842224954.
- St Albert's College Autonomous, Banerjee Road, Kochi, Kerala 682018, Phone: 04842394225.
- Bharata Mata College, Seaport - Airport Road, Thrikkakara, Edappally, Kochi, Kerala 682021, Phone: 04842425121.
- Aquinas College, P K Kuttikrishnan Vaidyar Road, Edakochi, Kochi, Kerala 682010, Phone: 04842328733.
(B) Engineering, Medical and other Institutes:
- Albertian Institute of Science & Technology, University Road, South Kalamassery, Kochi, Kerala 682022, Phone: 04842540360.
- Bhavans Royal Institute of Management, Old Guest House Road Near Hill Palace, Thiruvankulam, Thrippunithura, Kochi, Kerala 682305, Phone: 04842774461.
- Rajagiri College of Social Sciences, Rajagiri Road, South Kalamassery, Kochi, Kerala 683104, Phone: 04842426554.
- St Teresa's College, Park Avenue, Near Marine Drive, Kochi, Kerala 682011, Phone: 04842351870.
- Physical Health & Life Skills Education, HMT Road, South Kalamassery, Kochi, Kerala 683503, Phone: 04842555572.
- Munnar Catering College, 1st Floor, Vallamattom Estate, Mahatma Gandhi Rd, Near Shipyard, Ravipuram, Perumanoor, Kochi, Kerala 682015, Phone: 04842363030.
- Model Engineering Collegstations – Ernakulam Junction, Ernakulam Town (locally known as the South and North railway stations respectively), Aluva and Tripunithurae, Model Engineering College Road, Karimakkad, Thrikkakara, Edappally, Kochi, Kerala 682021, Phone: 04842577379.
- Muthoot Institute of Technology & Science, Kochi-Madurai-Tondi Point Rd, Puthenkurish, Varikoli, Kerala 682308, Phone: 04842732111.
- Amrita School of Arts and Sciences, Old NH17, Edappally North, Amrita Nagar, Brahmasthanam, Kochi, Kerala 682024, Phone: 04842802899.
- SCMS School of Technology and Management, 42, Salem - Kochi - Kanyakumari Highway, Choornikkara, Kochi, Kerala 683501, Phone: 04842623803.
- RLV College of Music and Fine Arts, Mini Bypass Tripunithura Road, Hospital Road, FACT Nagar, Thrippunithura, Ernakulam, Kerala 682301, Phone: 04842779757.
- Vidyabharathi Group of Institutions, VB Towers, VB Junction, University Road, CUSAT P.O., Kalamassery, Kochi, Kerala 682022, Phone: 04842542888.
- Government Medical College, HMT Colony, North Kalamassery, Kochi, Kerala 683503, Phone: 04842754000.
- Cochin Technical College Private I.T.I., Bus Stand Buildings, Kaloor - Kadavanthara Road, Kaloor, Kochi, Kerala 682017, Phone: 04842343454.
- Limra College of Engineering and Technology, Cusat Road, South Kalamassery, Kerala 682022, Phone: 09645753885.
- Seth Ram Bahadur Singh Gujarati College, Nalumadam, Kappalandimukku, Mattancherry, Kochi, Kerala 682002, Phone: 04842224246.
How to reach Kochi is well connected to other parts of the country by Rail, Road and Air. Several state highways as well as national highways pass through it. There are four main railway stations here which are namely - Ernakulam Junction, Ernakulam Town, Aluva and Tripunithura.
The nearest airport is Cochin International Airport which is about 28 km from the city in a Northerly direction.
City/village Representative of
(We do not have a local representative for this City/village yet)
Become a local representative
and make money...