|The address of Collectorate / Deputy Commissioner, Bangalore Urban District Office:|
The Deputy Commissioner, Bengaluru Urban District
Fourth Floor, DC office building
Revenue Complex, K.G. Road, Bengaluru 560009
Telephone Number: 080 22211292
URL of the office website: http://bengaluruurban.nic.in
- Ravi Shankar
Introduction Bengaluru (earlier called Bangalore) is the capital Karnataka state. It is one of the biggest places in this part of the state and due to the presence of so many software and computer-related companies, it is known as the IT capital or Silicon valley of our country. IT and computer majors like Wipro, Infosys, TCS, Intel, Honeywell, HCL etc have a strong presence here. The city is expanding at a fast pace and engulfing the nearby villages with a rapid speed. With this fast development, the city is experiencing lack of proper infrastructure and many roads are narrow creating frequent traffic jams. Due to the laying of pipelines and other utilities the roads are dug from time to time and creating bottlenecks at places. In many areas Metro lines are being planned which is adding to the woes of people commuting in the scooter, bus or car to their workplaces and back home.
As per census 2011, it has a population of 9.6 million. Today it has emerged as India's third most populous city. Geographically, it is situated on the Deccan Plateau has an average elevation of 900 m from the sea level. That is one reason that this place is having a pleasant climate throughout the year.
Bengaluru is divided into two districts one is known as Bengaluru Urban and other is Bengaluru Rural. The Bengaluru city is situated in the urban area. Bengaluru Rural district falls on the East and North side of Bengaluru urban. The Ramanagara district is on the west of Bengaluru urban district while the Krishnagiri district of Tamil Nadu state is on the south side of Bengaluru urban district.
There was a time when there was not much industrial crowd (especially Information Technology and computer related) in Bangaluru and there were many lakes in and around the old town. Due to rapid construction and developmental activities, these lakes were neglected and some of them were reduced to small dirty ponds. Anyway, now Bengaluru civic administration has taken a note of this important aspect and has made plans for reviving and undertaking the beautification of the lakes one by one.
The civic administration is run by Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagar Palika (BBMP) which comprises earlier Bangalore city, Bengaluru urban, Bengaluru rural and many villages in the area. So BBMP is a huge municipality having the responsibility of maintaining such a big area under its jurisdiction.
Places to Visit and other Outdoor Activities There are many places of interest to visit in and around Bengaluru and some of them are -
- Bangalore Palace: It is located in the city itself. The palace was Built in 1887 by Chamaraja Wodeyar and its architecture is inspired by England's Windsor Castle. This is really a majestic palace amid the surrounding gardens and is owned by Mysore Royal family. It is open for public and there are many art items and antiques belonging to the palace. This is one of the famous tourist attraction in Bengaluru. The visitors are provided with an earphone and sound instrument and recorded historic commentary can listen section wise while going through the palace. There is an entrance ticket of Rs 250 to enter here.
- ISKCON (Hare Krishna Hare Ram) temple: This the famous ISKCON temple in Bengaluru and is full of activities related to Lord Krishna consciousness. It is situated in the city and there is a big enclosure for the visitors coming to pray Lord Krishna. The temple organises many competition time to time in the temple campus for meeting the creative outlets of people in the field of art, music and other skills. There is always a big rush of devotees in this place.
- Lalbagh Botanical Garden: This garden was conceived by Hyder Ali in 1760 and then modified by his son Tipu Sultan. There are diverse varieties of plants here and the garden is especially famous for the red roses. It is spread in a huge area of 240 acres. There is one majestic glass house in the garden which is worth seeing.
- Ulsoor Lake: Situated in the heart of the city this lake is spread in an area of 125 acres. It is a good place for a picnic. There is an arrangement of boating also here.
- Bannerghatta National Park: This park is about 22 Km from Bengaluru. It has a wide variety of fauna and picturesque locale. There are enclosures for crocodiles, serpents, butterflies etc which can be seen in harmony with their ecosystem.
- Wonder La Amusement Park: It is situated about 40 Km from Bengaluru on Mysore Road. This is the modern technology park having exciting rides and other entertainments for kids and young people alike.
- Ramanagaram: This place is about 49 Km from Bengaluru and is famous for adventure seekers and rock climbers. Another attraction is the silk industry here. This is the largest silk cocoon market in Asia where silk thread is separated from the cocoons.
- Nandi Hills: Nandi hills are about 60 Km from Bengaluru and is a famous tourist and picnic place. One can have magnificent terrain views around from this place. This is one of the most chosen places for picnics. It was also the popular choice of the visit of Tipu Sultan and there is one 600 m high cliff known as Tipu's drop from where one can have a panoramic view of landscapes around.
- Cubbon Park: It is situated in the very heart of the city and there is a lot of variety of flora on its premises. Cubbon Park is very popular among fitness enthusiasts and those who are interested in botanical items.
- Tipu Sultan's summer palace: It was built in 1791 as the summer residence of the Tipu Sultan. It is a popular tourist place due to its exquisite and intricate architecture, carvings and decorations inside the palace. The ground floor is converted into a museum and a large number of visitors visit it every year.
- Bannerghatta National Park: Bannerghatta National Park is situated about 22 Km from Bengaluru and was started in the year 1971 with the objectives of conserving endangered species and promoting ecotourism. With a varied wildlife comprising of panthers, lions, tigers and black bears, the park attracts thousands of visitors every year.
- Sri Sri Ravi Shankar Ashram (The Art of Living): Situated about a distance of 25 Km in a South-Westerly direction from the heart of the Bengaluru city is the famous Ashram of Sri Sri Ravi Shankar the founder of the famous organisation ‘The Art of Living'. This is a great place for people interested in meditation, spirituality, getting cured by natural ways and other such activities. There are many courses organised by the Ashram for the benefit of the interested people especially in the areas of wisdom, attaining silence and happiness. The Art of Living is having its Ashram in Germany and US also.
In Bengaluru, there are a lot of options for outdoor activities for which agencies are there who organise and manage these activities for a group of people. The most common of such activities are -
- Cycling: One can check up with Bangalore Bicycling Club on Facebook or at www.bikeszone.com for weekend plans. Cycles are also available on rentals at select places. There are cycle tours covering the arts and heritage places in the city.
- Trekking and Camping: Bengaluru has many good and beautiful scenic places in its outskirt for trekking and camping options. Due to moderate temperatures, it is easier to carry out these activities here. There are many trekking/camping facilitating companies in Bengaluru which can be contacted for this hobby and entertainment.
- Rock Climbing: Bengaluru has so many rocky and full of big boulder places in the vicinity of the city where rock climbing activity can be pursued. There are many agencies which operate these trips for a group of the people.
- Hiking in hilly terrains: There are many places located within a distance of 60 Km, where hiking on the hilly terrain is possible through the picturesque and beautiful landscapes dotted with greeneries. These places are - Nandi hills, Rangaswamy betta, Bhimeshwari - Muttati, Savandurga, Makalidurga, Kavaledurga (Skandagiri), Kabalidurga, Siddarabetta and Nijakal betta.
- Cave exploration: Savandurga, Anthargange and Siddarabetta are the places where those having interest in exploring the caves can venture in this exciting activity.
Accommodation and When to Visit There are a large number of staying options in Bengaluru right from budget hotels to luxury ones. Hotels can be booked through major travel sites like booking.com, trivago.com etc.
The climate of Bengaluru is pleasant throughout the year and one can visit here anytime. As per climate classification, it has a tropical savanna climate with differentiable dry and wet seasons. Dec-Jan is the cooler part of the year while Mar-Apr is the relatively hotter. The annual temperatures hover between an average of 15 to 35-degree centigrade. Aug to Oct are the wettest months. Rains generally occur in the afternoon or the evenings and are rare in the mornings.
Educational Facilities Bengaluru is not only an IT hub but also a great place for acquiring an academic or technical qualification. There are a large number of colleges here catering to the needs of varied students in different streams.
Some of the educational institutions are as follows -
- Abbas Khan College for Women, Cubbonpet, Bengaluru.
- AECS Maaruti College of Hotel Management, Billekahalli, Bengaluru.
- AES National College, Gauribidanur, Bengaluru.
- Aakson Academie, R.T.Nagar, Bengaluru.
- Abhyudaya Degree College, Sarjapur Road, Beingaluru.
- Acharya Institute of Management & Science, Peenya, Bengaluru.
- Adarsha College of Arts, Science and Commerce, R.T.Nagar, Bengaluru.
- Administrative Management College, Jayanagar, Bengaluru - 560041.
- Al-Ameen College of Arts Science and Commerce, Hosur Road, Bengaluru.
- Al-Ameen Institute of Management Studies, Hosur Road, Bengaluru - 560027.
- Baldwin Women's Mehodist College, Richmond Road, Bengaluru.
- BES Evening College of Arts & Commerce, Jaynagar, Bengaluru - 560041.
- BMS College of Law, Basavanagudi, Bengaluru.
- Bangalore City College, CBI Road, Bengaluru,
- Bangalore Institute of Fashion Technology, New Guddadahalli, Benguluru.
- Bangalore Institute of Legal Studies, Jayanagar, Bengaluru - 560041.
- Basaveshwara College of Commerce Arts and Science, Rajajinagar, Bengaluru - 560010.
- Bhagirathi BAi Narayana Rao Maanay College, Banashankari, Bengaluru - 560070.
- Bharathmatha Womens College, Hanumanthnagar, Bengaluru.
- Bharatheeya Vidhyabhavana, Racecourse Road, Bengaluru.
- Bill Gate Computer Academy, Lingarajapura, Bengaluru.
- Bishop Cotton Women's Christian College, Residency Road, Bengaluru.
- Brilliant College of Commerce, Vivekananda Nagar, Bengaluru.
- CMR Institute of Management Studies, Banasavadi Layout, Bengaluru.
- CNK Reddy College of Business Management, Indiranagar, Bengaluru - 560038.
- Capital College of Computer Education, Indiranagar, Bengaluru - 560038.
- City College, Jayanagar, Bengaluru.
- Cyber Institute of Computer Sciences, Koramangala, Bengaluru - 560034.
- Dayananda College of Science Arts & Commerce, Kumarswamy Layout, Bengaluru.
- Digital College, Koramangla, Bengaluru.
- Dolphin Institute of Information Science, Jayanagar, Bengaluru - 560041.
- Don Bosco College, Bommahalli Hosur Main Road, Bengaluru.
- Dr Ambedkar Degree College, Indiranagar, Bengaluru - 560038.
- Dr Rammanohar Lohia College of Law, Jayanagar, Bengaluru - 560041.
- Dr S. Gopalaraju Govt First Grade College of Arts & Commerce, Anekal, Bengaluru - 562106.
- East West College of Business Management, Rajajinagar, Bengaluru - 560010.
- Frank College of Science Commerce & Management Studies, J. P. Nagar, Bengaluru - 560078.
- G V K College Of Computer Science, Bengaluru - 560085.
- Gold Field College of Education, Karahalli, Bengaluru - 562164.
- Goodwill Christian College for women, Frazer Town, Bengaluru.
- Govt Arts College, Ambedkar Road, Bengaluru - 560001.
- Govt Science College, Nrupathunga Road, Bengaluru.
- Harvard College of Computer & Management Studies, Brigade Road, Bengaluru.
- Indo Asian Academy Education Trust for Computers & Nursing, Kalyannagar, Bengaluru - 560043.
- Indian Institute of Plantation Management, Mallattahalli, Benguluru.
- Indira Gandhi College of Science, Yelahanka, Bengaluru.
- Institute of Speech & Hearing, Hosur Road, Bengaluru.
- Jyoti Niwas College, Hosur Road, Bengaluru.
- Jubilee College, Jinkathimmanahalli, Bengaluru.
- Kadandale Krishna Rao Memorial College of Hotel Management, Raja Rammohan Roy Road, Bengaluru.
- Karnataka Hindi Prachar Samithi, Jayanagar, Bengaluru - 560041.
- Kempegoeda Institute of Management Studies, Vijayanagar, Bengaluru.
- MAKA College of Computer Science, Banasavadi Main Road, Bengaluru.
- MES College of Arts Commerce & Science, Malleshwaram, Bengaluru.
- Mount Carmel College, Palace Road, Bengaluru - 560052.
- M S Ramaiah College of Hotel Management, M S Ramaiah Road, Bengaluru.
- MVJ College of Education, Marathahalli, Bengaluru - 560037.
- Maharani's Arts and Commerce College for Women, Sheshadri Road, Bengaluru.
- Maurya Institute of Hotel Management, Gandhinagar, Bengaluru.
- National Centre for Management Studies, V V Puram, Bengaluru.
- Natya Institute of Kathak & Choreography, Malleshwaram - 560055.
- Padmashree Institute of Information Science, Nagarbhavi Circle, Bengaluru.
- Pragati College of Science & Management Studies, M. G. Road, Bengaluru - 560001.
- Presidency College, Kempapuara Hebbal, Bengaluru.
- R R College of Management Studies & Computer Application, Rajajinagar, Bengaluru - 560010.
- R V Teachers College, Jayanagar, Bengaluru - 560041.
- Regional College of Acting, Jayanagar, Bengaluru - 560041.
- Royal College of Business Management, Devanahalli, Bengaluru - 562110.
- S L N College of Arts & Commerce, Fort Road, Bengaluru.
- Seshadripuram College of Arts Science & Commerce, Seshadripuram, Bengaluru.
- Sree Cauvery College of Computer Education, Indiranagar, Bengaluru - 560038.
- Sri Bhagawan Mahaveer Jain College, V V Puram, Bengaluru.
- St. Joseph's College of Commerce, Brigade Road, Bengaluru.
- St. George College of Management & Science, Banasawadi, Bengaluru.
- The National College, Bagepalli, Bengaluru.
- The Oxford College of Science, J P Nagar, Bengaluru - 560078.
- Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology, M G Road, Bengaluru - 560001.
- Y D Memorial College of Management & Computer Education, Raghuvanahalli, Bengaluru.
There are a large number of schools in Bengaluru and some of the popular and prominent ones are United Mission School, St John's High School, Goodwill's Girls School, St. Joseph's Boys' High School, Bishop Cotton Boys' School, Bishop Cotton Girls' School, Cathedral High School, Baldwin Boys' High School, Baldwin Girls' High School, St. Joseph's Indian High School, St Anthony's Boys' School, Clarence High School, National High School, St. Germain High School, Bangalore Military School and Sophia High School.
Bengaluru is a place where many prestigious scientific, IT, management and research institutes in Government sector are located. These are -
- Indian Institute of Science (IISc).
- National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS).
- National Centre for Biological Sciences (NCBS).
- Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR).
- Indian Institute of Astrophysics (IIA).
- Raman Research Institute (RRI).
- International Centre for Theoretical Sciences (ICTS).
- National Law School of India University (NLSIU).
- University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore (UASB).
- National Institute of Design(NID).
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT).
- Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore (IIM-B).
- Institute of Wood Science and Technology (IWST).
- Indian Statistical Institute (ISI).
- International Institute of Information Technology, Bangalore (IIIT-B).
- Institute of Finance and International Management (IFIM).
There are also some well known private institutes in Bengaluru like - Christ University, Jain University, PES University, St. John's Medical College (SJMC), Bangalore Medical College and Research Institute and M. P. Birla Institute of Fundamental Research.
How to Reach Bengaluru Bengaluru is well connected by national highways to other places in the country. It is on the main Railway lines connecting the northern part of the country to the southern states. The Airport in Bengaluru is one of the busiest having flights to all the major cities.
Updates & Comments:
|Posted By: Ravi Kumar Dubey Posted Date: 20 Oct 2009 |
|Today Bangalore is the fastest growing city in Asia with a burgeoning population of nearly four million. It is a city for all seasons. Come any time of the year - Bangalore is beautiful.|
Bangalore has a moderate climate throughout the year due to its elevation (1000m). It is also blessed with a large number of lakes and parks within the city.