Introduction Vadodara (earlier Baroda) district is situated in the eastern part of the state of Gujarat in our country. The administrative headquarter is in the city of Vadodara which is located in the western part of the district.
As per census 2011, the Vadodara district had a population of 41.7 lakh. It is the third populous district of Gujarat after Ahmedabad and Surat. Panchmahal and Dahod districts fall in its North, Anand and Kheda districts in the West, Bharuch and Narmada districts in the South and Chhota Udaipur district in the East. The city of Vadodara is located on the banks of river Vishwamitri. Other rivers in the district namely Narmada river lies in the south and Mahi river lies in the north of district.
The name Vadodara is derived from the abundant Banyan trees in the region. ‘Vad' means banyan tree and ‘Dara' means covered. So Vadodara means covered with banyan trees. Long back, the city was called Chandravati after the king Raja Chandan. The Mughal rule came to an end in the year 1732 and thereafter the Gaekwads ruled it from 1734 to 1949. Vadodara made a spectacular progress after it's ruler Sayaji Rao Gaekwad III took over in the year 1875 and it made good progress in the field of education, industrial and commercial activities. He was a very able administrator and many constructive achievements were met in his time.
The industrial belt in Gujarat state from Ahmedabad to Vapi is known as the golden corridor and Vadodara falls on it. Many large-scale industries like Gujarat Refinery, Gujarat State Fertilizers and Chemicals (GSFC), Indian Petrochemicals Corporation Limited (IPCL) and Gujarat Alkalis and Chemicals Limited (GACL) are in the Vadodara area making it a prominent industrial centre.
Places to Visit There are many places to visit in Vadodara for the sightseeing and other interests for the tourists and visitors. Some of them are -
- The Laxmi Vilas Palace -
Laxmi Vilas Palace is styled on the Indo-Saracenic Revival architecture and was built by Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III in 1890. It is spread across a sprawling area of about 700 acres. It is one of the majestic structures in our country and is one of the favourite tourist attractions in Vadodara city. The museum has a very good collection of paintings by Raja Ravi Verma and also various artefacts collected from across the globe. Timings - 9:30 AM to 5 PM all days except Monday when it is closed.
- Sayaji Baug -
Sayaji Baug (also known as ‘Kamati Baug') is a garden located in the city. It was built by Maharaja Sayajirao Gaekwad III and is named after him only. It is spread in an area of 45 hectares and is one of the prominent sightseeing places in Vadodara. The park has various types of trees, two museums, a zoo, flower beds, a planetarium, a flower clock and a toy train for children. It is a good place having a picnic with the family and to relax with children.
- Vadodara Museum & Picture Gallery -
It is located in Dak Banglow, Sayajigunj area and is one of the places which is a must see for the tourists and visitors in Vadodara. It was built in the year 1894 by the Gaekwad family. The museum and picture gallery is fascinating and stores a large collection of pictures and artefacts related to archaeology, geology, natural history, and a variety of personal collection by Maharaja Sayajirao. People having interest in architecture will definitely enjoy and admire this collection. Timings - All Days 10:30 AM to 5:30 PM.
- The EME Temple -
EME temple or ‘Dakshinamurty Temple' is a Lord Shiva Temple run by Indian Army establishment in the Vadodara city. It is a unique contemporary architectural design with a geodesic structure. The temple is covered elegantly with aluminium sheets. It is surrounded by a garden where many ancient statues dating back to the period from 6th to the 16th century are housed. Timings - Monday to Saturday – 6:30 AM to 8:30 PM. Sunday - Closed.
- Sur Sagar Lake -
Sur Sagar Lake, also known as the Chand Talao is a lake situated in the middle of the city of Vadodara. The lake was rebuilt in the 18th century with stone masonry work. The water in this lake remains for the whole year. There is a big idol of Lord Shiva in the centre of the lake. A concrete parapet wall surrounds the lake. It is one of the most popular tourist places in Vadodara and lake offers a scenic view and a great place to hang around in the hot summer evenings. There is a facility of boating also.
- ISKCON temple -
The temple belongs to ISKCON foundation and is dedicated to Lord Krishna. It is famous for the traditional decor of the deities. There is a garden and also a vegetarian restaurant in the campus of the temple.
- Hazira Maqbara -
This Maqbara contains the tombs of Qutbuddin Muhammad Khan and his son Naurang Khan. Qutbuddin Muhammad Khan was the tutor of Salim (Jahangir), son and successor of Mughal king Akbar while Naurang Khan held important offices in Gujarat area under king Akbar's kingdom.
- Lehpuria Gate -
This beautiful arched stone gate belongs to 16th-century architecture. It features elaborate images of Lord Ganesha and the Goddess Durga.
- Surya Narayan Temple -
It is a well maintained neat and clean religious place dedicated to Sun God. It is believed that the Sun God relieves his devotees from the grip of ailments and bestows divine grace on them. This is one of the popular places to visit with the family. It provides residential facilities along with food to the visitors and a large crowd visits it throughout the year. Timings - All Days – 7 AM to 7 PM.
- Nyaya Mandir -
This beautiful building presently houses the district court. It was constructed in the year 1896 and features an Indo-Saracenic architecture designed by the British architect Robert Fellowes Chisholm. The architectural style of the building is a mixed one and elements of Gothic, Renaissance, and Mughal architecture can be witnessed in this building. It is located very near to Sur Sagar lake.
- Nimeta Garden -
This is situated about 10 km from the city and is a very good place for a family picnic.
- Champaner-Pavagadh Archaeological Park -
It is about 41 km from the Vadodara city. It is a marvellous archaeological park set in the city of Champaner and amid the Pavagadh hills. It is included in the elite list of the World Heritage sites and is an important sightseeing place near Vadodara.
- Jambughoda Wildlife Sanctuary -
Jambughoda Wildlife sanctuary is a famous adventurous place in Panchmahal district in the North of Vadodara and is an ideal destination for a one-day picnic. There are many wild species like the wild bear, antelopes, sloth bear and boars in this sanctuary. The forest department here arranges trekking, camping and safari tours that make this sanctuary an attractive place for adventure loving people. Timings: All Days – 6 AM to 7 PM.
- Sri Aurobindo Ashram -
This Ashram is located at Dandia Bazar and is one of the best places to visit especially for those people who have an interest in meditation and spiritual healing. There are study rooms and library facility available in the Ashram. The books written by Sri Aurobindo are available here. There is one sales emporium also. Timings - All Days – 9 AM to 7 PM.
Educational facilities in Vadodara
There are a number of schools, colleges and other educational institutes in Vadodara. Some of them are given below in their respective category -
(A) Engineering and Medical Colleges:
- Babaria Institute of Technology (BITS), vadodara.
- Institute of Technology and Management Universe - (ITM universe), vadodara.
- Parul University, Vadodara.
- Baroda Medical College, Vadodara.
- Navrachana University - (NU), vadodara.
- Sardar Patel Institute of Management Science and Technology - (SPIMST), vadodara
- Vadodara Institute of Engineering, Vadodara.
- K J Institute of Engineering and Technology - (KJIET), vadodara.
- Sigma Institute of Engineering - (SIE), Vadodara.
- GSFC University, Vadodara.
- Neotech Institute of Technology (NIT), Vadodara.
- Smt. B K Shah Medical College & Research Centre (BKSMC), Vadodara.
- Shree Mahalaxmiji Mahila Homeopathic Mediacal College (SMMHMC), Vadodara.
- Pioneer Physiotherapy College (PPC), Vadodara.
- K J Pandya College of Physiotherapy (KJPCP), Vadodara.
- Sumandeep Vidyapeeth (SV), Vadodara.
- Gujarat Medical Education and Research Society Medical College - (GMERS), VADODARA.
- Itm Vocational University - (ITMVU), Vadodara.
(B) Other Universities/ Colleges/ Technical Institutes:
- M S University, Vadodara.
- S C A Patel Arts College, Vadodara.
- Seth T C Kapadia Arts College, Vadodara.
- Smt Sabitaben Chunibhai Patel F K Commerce College, Vadodara.
- Sri Natvarsinhji Arts Science and Commerce College, Vadodara.
- M S Patel Institute of Management Studies, Vadodara.
- Sigma Institute of Management Studies, Vadodara.
- Royale Business School, Vadodara.
- S B Polytechnic, Vadodara.
- RMS Polytechnic, Vadodara.
- Govt Polytechnic, Vadodara.
- American School of Baroda, Vadodara.
- Delhi Public School, Vadodara.
- Cygnus World School, Vadodara.
- Bright Day School, Vadodara.
- Ambe School, Vadodara.
- Nalanda International School, Vadodara.
- Anand Vidya Vihar, Vadodara.
- VIBGYOR High School, Vadodara.
- D R Amin Memorial School, Vadodara.
- Green Valley High School, Vadodara.
- Gujarat Public School, Vadodara.
- Baroda Public School, Vadodara.
- Spectrum the Contemporary School, Vadodara.
- Anand Vidya Vihar Vadodara.
- Baselios Public School, Vadodara.
- Chanderbala Modi Academy, Vadodara.
- Kendriya Vidyalaya, Vadodara.
When to Visit Vadodara and Where to Stay Vadodara has distinct Summer, Monsoon and winter seasons and in general, it is a dry place except during Monsoons. The best time to visit here is in winters to avoid the scorching sun in summer.
There are all sort of hotels and guest houses available in Vadodara right from budget hotels to luxury ones and accommodation is available throughout the year. Still, it is better to go after reserving the hotel in advance through online booking portals.
How to Reach There Vadodara is connected by roads and express highways to nearby cities. It has an Airport from where flights are available to many places in India. It is a well approachable place and taxis/ cabs/ autos are available in the city for going around.
Updates & Comments:
|Posted By: logulaselvan Posted Date: 20 Oct 2011 |
Phone(O): 2433000, 2423100