About Asutosh College
Asutosh College, affiliated to Calcutta University, has an illustrious tradition which contributes to its very own culture. It was established in 1916 under the visionary leadership of mathematician, educationist, and the- then Vice-Chancellor of the University of Calcutta, Sir Asutosh Mukherjee. Housed at rented premises, it was then called South Suburban College. The College was renamed after Sir Asutosh, following his demise in 1924. It shifted to its present location in 1935.
The present college building expanding about 40,000 sq.ft has more than 50 class rooms catering to about 4000 students. The college became fully coeducational in 2002. Twenty seven subjects are taught as Honours / Major at the Undergraduate Level. A Postgraduate Course in Environmental Science was introduced in 2002. All the departments have their own libraries and wellorganised laboratories (for Science Departments).
The college has more than 150 teachers both as Full time and Guest Faculty. Many of them teach at the Post- graduate level as guest faculties and/or pursue research in different universities of the State.
The College adheres to strict discipline regarding RAGGING which is considered to be a criminal offence according to supreme court orders. Any Student found involved in ragging either in the college premise or in the hostel will face immediate expulsion from the college.
Usage of MOBILE PHONE is strictly prohibited inside the college premises.
The renowned mathematician Sir. Asutosh Mukherjee with a deep dream did establish this college. Asutosh College is affiliated under University of Calcutta. The college has a rich heritage that contributes to its own culture. The College was built up in the year 1916 under the leadership of Sir Asutosh Mukherjee, the famous mathematician, educationist and the then Vice-Chancellor of the University of Calcutta. The College was then known as South Suburban College and was housed at a rented premise.
When Sir Asutosh passed away in 1924, the college was renamed after him.
The Asutosh College shifted to its current location in 1935. The present college building has a premise of forty thousand square feet and more than fifty classrooms which can contain about 4000 students. Twenty-seven subjects are taught as Honors/Major at the Undergraduate level.
In the year 2002, a post graduation course in Environmental Science was introduced. All the departments have their own libraries and well-organized laboratories for Science departments.
Did you find any wrong or incomplete information here? Or, like to get any information removed?
Please submit correct information (... and earn revenue).