|Started in 1947, Osmania College Kurnool is now a famous minority educational institute of the state. It was established by Dr. M. Abdul Haq Saheb and is recognized by the UGC under Section 2(f) and 12(b) of the UGC Act of 1956. It is affiliated to Rayalaseema University, Kurnool and is accredited by NAAC, Bangalore with grade ‘A' recently. It has acquired autonomous status in the year 2005 and is now extended till the academic year 2023-24. |
If we talk about its strength, it is currently offering education to more than 2500 students including both boys and girls and there are around 180 staff members.
InfrastructureThe college campus is occupying 9.5 acres of land and is divided into 2 separate wings for men and women. The men's wing has an area of 6.5 acres and 12542.93 square meters of built-up area whereas the women's wing is occupying 3.5 acres and 14932 square meters of built-up area.
The college has spacious classrooms and advanced laboratories in each wing and each department separately. The classrooms are ICT-enabled with smart boards, AV-Aids and LCD- DVD support. There are separate staff rooms, toilets, lift facility and water purifiers in each department. Four big auditoriums with all the advanced equipment are there on the campus to conduct various cultural events, lectures, etc.
It also has a separate two-wheeler and four-wheeler parking area, cafeteria and ladies waiting rooms. For the convenience of students and staff, there is a branch of Central Bank of India and a Post office on the campus.
The campus has enough space occupied by a botanical garden having various medicinal plants and many tall trees and green lawns offering a beautiful, peaceful environment for study. The compound is having a network of RCC roads that are also floodlit for safety.
For physical growth of the students, there is a multi-station gym, separate playground for boys and girls and physical guides. Indoor games with all the required equipment and instruments are also there.
LibraryThe library of the college was inaugurated by Dr. Zakir Hussain Saheb in 1954. He was the Vice-Chancellor of Aligarh Muslim University at that time. Currently, there are separate libraries in boy's and girl's wings. It also has a big hall and can accommodate at least 250 students at a time. The libraries are also very rich in terms of collection of books, holding more than 44000 books and around 37 journals. The library also has access to e-journals, INFLIBET facility, research section, reprographic facility and separate UG and PG sections. Apart from the general library, each department also has its own library. Libraries can be used as it is open throughout the year and can be used between 8.30 AM till 6.00 PM on all working days. On holidays, it is open from 10.00 AM till 2.00 PM.
Activities and groupsThe availability of a big playground with all the facilities itself shows the support of college for physical activities and sports. Students are allowed to enjoy the sports facilities between 5.00 PM to 6.30 PM every day. Apart from this, the college also conducts various sports-related activities including intramural tournaments that run throughout the year. Selected students in various games also participate in inter-college tournaments.
NCC was started in the college in 1954 and there are more than 160 cadets of different ranks. The immediate and degree courses students are allowed to join NCC on a voluntary basis. The NCC cadets participate in various activities like Eye donation camps, Girl child rallies, etc.
The college also has NSS and can accommodate 200 students for the same at a time. The registered students learn to serve the community and to work for social causes. Students learn many practical aspects of life that cannot be learned through academic studies alone.
Apart from the above-mentioned groups and activities, there are Anti-Ragging cell, Women Empowerment cells, Youth Red Cross, Career Guidance and Placement cell and Grievance Redressal cell functioning in the college serving varied purposes.