About CMS College , Kottayam
The college established in 1817. The history of the college started when Colonel John Munroe took in charge as Dewan of Travancore in 1799. As per his appeal the British east India company Madras presidency approved to start a college in Kottayam. In 1813, The queen of Travancore Rani Lakshmi Bai granted 16 acres of land, 500 rupees and Teak wood from the forest under the Government of Travancore.
CMS Missionaries who worked hard to bring progress in this part of the world took in charge of the college also. Rev. Benjamin Bailey who was a CMS missionary was the first principal of the college in 1817. Kerala's first printing press set up in this college in 1820. Rev. Benjamin Bailey was the man behind this move, later King Swati Tirunal invited him to Trivandrum to set up a government press there.
After 200 years, this college is still standing as an example of youth ness and creativity.
Who runs it
The college is run by the CSI Madhya Kerala Diocese. There is a governing council and a managing council to run the college successfully.
The college is affiliated to Mahatma Gandhi University. The college accredited with A grade by NAAC. The Department of Biotechnology (DBT), under Government of India, has selected the college for support in 2016 and the financial support was provided to six departments, viz. Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Botany, Zoology and Home Science for strengthening their undergraduate teaching infrastructures and facilities.
The college library is known as the Collin Library. Rev. Richard Collins was the Principal of the College from 1855 to 1865. He was a scholar and a great administrator.
Facilities in the college
Facilities in the college include college canteen and cafeteria, two women hostels and one men hostel, Cooperative stores, College chapel, Great Hall, Seminar Hall, Language lab, Scientific department labs, sports facilities, etc.
- Vimaldev Ullattuthodiyil Vasudevan