Do you want to do post-graduation in Economics? Do you want to analyze the production, distribution and consumption of goods and services? Then, a course in M.Sc Economics is what you should pursue. Learn about the eligibility criteria, course duration, career prospects and various job opportunities associated with this course.
A postgraduate program, MSc in Economics provides you with extensive knowledge and training in economic theory and practices. With the focus on microeconomics, macroeconomics and applied economics, it prepares you for stepping into the financial sector without failing. For those with aspirations for a doctoral degree, the course provides a solid base. The field of economics is not as cluttered as engineering or the medical fields, where the competition is fierce. With a decent postgraduation qualification, one can easily land a suitable job in the financial sector. World over companies, enterprises, organizations and even governments are on the lookout for professionals majored in economics.
Eligibility and course duration
BA (Hons.) or BSc (Hons.) in Economics from a recognized university with at least 50% marks in aggregate. For those from other disciplines, the marks requirement is higher, generally, 60% and they should have studied mathematics at 10+2 or undergraduate level.
The duration of the course is 2 years.
Economics is mainly concerned with the manufacture, consumption and supply of goods and services. Those who wish to become economists can do any of the course in Economics. There are various colleges and institutes in India that offers different courses in Economics. Applicants who are seeking to take admission to the Master's course should have a minimum qualification of graduation. In order to take admission for the PG program, candidates are required to attend a written entrance exam.
- The basic eligibility criteria for pursuing M.Sc Economics course is a B.Sc degree in Economics with 50% or above marks from a recognized college or university.
- The admission for this course may vary from institute to institute.
Generally, M.Sc Economics course is about 2 years duration and the syllabus for the course is divided into four semesters, with each semester lasting for a period of six months. This degree course opens many job scopes for the candidates and is a career oriented course.
More about the course
The aim of the program is to provide you with a solid foundation in many aspects of economics including econometrics or applied economics, microeconomics, statistics, data analysis, economic modelling, etc. Even though the underlying principles remaining the same, studies in economics are evolving rapidly because of many new factors coming into consideration. Changing government policies, liberalization and globalization have given an entirely new dimension to economics studies in the country these days. The curricula mainly include core topics on microeconomic theory, macroeconomic theory, econometrics and statistics. Some of the electives are financial economics, public finance, international economics, environmental economics, health economics and so on. The course of study will also include writing a thesis on the research work carried by you during your coursework. A good understanding of the basics of economics and skills in mathematics is all that is required for successful completion of this course.
The study of economics finds very wide scope in the government as well as the private sector. Considering that the number of financial institutions are growing every year, there is a huge demand for trained economists. The globalization and other changing factors in the world economic scenario have created opportunities for economists as analysts, consultants and advisers. Economists find openings in many fields including, finance, banking, insurance, equity research and many other financial sectors. They also have the options of going for research by undertaking PhD programs or for teaching assignments in universities.
Is M.Sc Economics course suitable for me
- Those candidates who have an interest in political and social activities, commitment, sincerity and devotion toward their studies are suitable for this course.
- Candidates who want to choose teaching as a profession at higher degree levels as a professor or lecturer at colleges and universities, both in private and government institutions are perfect for this course.
- Candidates who have effective written and oral communication skills, numeracy and the ability to research, use of business and financial data and information are suitable for this degree course.
- They should also have a creative problem-solving approach and logical decision-making skills.
Advantages or benefits of M.Sc Economics course
- Those who have completed PG program in Economics have a lot of opportunities.
- Candidates can expect many jobs in fields such as insurance, banking, finance, stock market, marketing and sales as well as corporations like government departments or consulting firms.
- They can seek out employment opportunities in public as well as private undertakings.
- They can work in rural development or in demographic studies.
- Consequent amalgamation of world economy has extended the job prospects of economists in business, education and non-profit organizations.
- Candidates interested in higher studies or research can opt for M. Phil, Ph.D and thereby aspire to take higher positions in private and public sectors.
M.Sc Economics Admissions for 2022 - 2023 Academic Year
Are you looking for admissions for M.Sc Economics for the academic year 2022 - 2023? We can connect you with the right colleges and universities offering M.Sc Economics courses in your preferred locations. Apply Now for M.Sc Economics