It is an undergraduate course in Geography. Students learn about the Earth and its features, land and inhabitants. Various colleges and institutes in India offer this course.
Keen observation, perceptive and probing mind, logical and analytical thinking and computer skills are much needed qualification in the field of Geography. Interest in Science and Maths can help one to be good in this profession and like any other careers, good communication skills play a major role.
- The basic eligibility criteria for pursuing B.Sc Geography course is a pass degree in Higher Secondary Examination or 10+2 in any discipline (preferably Science) from a recognized college or university.
- A base in maths, statistics and computer science is needed in graduate studies. After completion of Bachelor's degree, an aspirant can go for higher studies such as Masters, M.Phil and Ph.D programs.
The minimum duration of B.Sc Geography course is about 3 years divided into six semesters.
Skills required for good geographers:
Physically and mentally fit for field work
Good analytical and research skills
Ability to focus and speculate with help of data and maps
Passion for new inventions
Good writing and verbal skills
Good attentive skills
Advantages or benefits of B.Sc Geography course
- Candidates can work in various government departments and research institutes.
- Several private sector organizations like remote sensing technology require the services of a qualified geographer.
- They can also take teaching as their career in schools, colleges or universities both in private as well as Government based schools, colleges and universities.
- Opening coaching institutes or tutorials can also be one of the career option for Geographers.
- Other options for them where they can have jobs are travel / tourism planning, transportation planning, urban planning, solid waste disposal system, social services and emergency services.
Several career options with numerous specializations are available for a B.Sc Geography graduate. Some of them are listed here
Cartography: Geographers who specialize in the field of Cartography can make maps, globes, charts and models.
Survey: Geographers can specialize in surveying either by joining the Survey of India or private organizations or State Survey Departments.
Urban and Regional Planning: This specialization is concerned with planning, housing and developmental projects with respect to location and the utilization of available land space.
Town Planning: Geographers are employed by private and public organizations engaged in urban planning.
B.Sc. Geography Admissions for 2021 - 2022 Academic Year
Are you looking for admissions for B.Sc. Geography for the academic year 2021 - 2022? We can connect you with the right colleges and universities offering B.Sc. Geography courses in your preferred locations. Apply Now for B.Sc. Geography