It's unfortunate that a large number of children in the country are mentally retarded. To cater to them many special schools, special classes in regular schools and integrated schools have been established. In such a scenario, there are many opportunities for a special educator specialised in the field of mental retardation to serve children who are mentally retarded.
Eligibility and course duration
- Candidates who have successfully passed B.Ed. Special Education (mental retardation) or any other equivalent degree.
- Candidates who have done B.Ed general course are eligible, if they have undergone a one year diploma course in respective disability area. The course should be recognized by the Rehabilitation Council of India (RCI).
- Candidates who have multi-category specialization in B.Ed. are not eligible.
- Most institutes insist on more than 50% marks in the qualifying exams.
The duration of the course will be one year, split into two semesters.
The course is divided into two semesters, having six and eight papers respectively. In the second semester the student has to submit a research paper as well as go for practical experience. The proposal for the research paper has to be submitted in the first semester itself. The papers in both the semesters are based on the following six subjects,
- Development in special education
- Advanced human psychology and human development
- Research methodology and statistics
- Identification, assessment and needs of children with mental retardation
- Curriculum and teaching strategies for children with mental retardation
- any one of the three subjects- management in special education, educational technology or curriculum development
Role of a special education teacher
As a special educator you will come in contact with children differing in their degree of mental retardation. Depending upon their nature of disability, an educator should be able to accommodate and provide for a variety of services. They have to fit in many different roles as a teacher and a caregiver.
Job prospects for special educators (mental retardation)
- Can serve in special schools or in regular schools conducting special classes for mentally retarded children.
- Can serve as trainers for those who are undergoing training as special education teachers at diploma and graduation levels.
- Can get in the field of research in this area and become leaders and path breakers in eradicating the ill-effects of this disability among the children of the country, giving them a chance to lead a normal life.
M.Ed. Special Education (Mental Retardation) Admissions for 2020 - 2021 Academic Year
Are you looking for admissions for M.Ed. Special Education (Mental Retardation) for the academic year 2020 - 2021? We can connect you with the right colleges and universities offering M.Ed. Special Education (Mental Retardation) courses in your preferred locations. Apply Now for M.Ed. Special Education (Mental Retardation)