- The basic eligibility criteria for pursuing B.Sc Genetics degree course is a pass in Higher Secondary (10+2) or equivalent examination with Physics, Chemistry and Biology as a subject. Some colleges and institutes demand a minimum of 50% marks in 10+2 as qualifying criteria to get admission in this degree course.
- Some colleges and institutes also conduct an aptitude test to secure admission in B.Sc Genetics degree course.
The duration of this degree course is about three years, including six semesters.
Subjects to study
Many universities and colleges in India pursue this course. B.Sc Genetics degree course includes study of subjects like Microbiology, Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Model Organisms, Microscopy, Cytogenetics, Mendelian Genetics & Biometry, Genetic Engineering, Molecular Genetics, Cloning and Biotechnology.
B.Sc Genetics degree holders can get jobs in Research / Job opportunities in the field of disease control, hormone and protein synthesis, animal research, medical investigations of gene structure, etc.
About the course
B.Sc Genetics is an undergraduate program. In simple words, B.Sc Genetics is a study that deals with basic units of heredity called genes. The subject covers the study of variation in living organisms and science of heredity. The candidates also learn heredity and ways in which personality and behavior are passed down from one generation to another.
B.Sc Genetics course suitability
- The candidates willing to pursue this course should have broad knowledge in human genetics, including an understanding of variability, heterogeneity and natural history of genetic disorders.
- Other prerequisites for this course are therapeutic skills in a wide range of genetic disorders, the ability to integrate genetic and clinical information, the ability to interpret and elicit individual and family histories, understand the uses, interpretation, limitations and significance of clinical procedures and specialized laboratory are the most suitable for this course.
How is B.Sc Genetics course beneficial
- The candidates pursuing B.Sc Genetics degree course can go for further higher studies such as M.Sc / M.Phil / PH.d in Genetics / Genetical Engineering. The successful completion of which can make you eligible for the post of a lecturer in any college or university.
- The degree holders gets many opportunities in some of its specialized fields such as Conservation Genetics, Classical Genetics, Immunogenetics, Ecological Genetics, Population Genetics, Molecular Genetics, Quantitative Genetics, etc.
- Degree holders of this course aid in the study of biochemistry, biology, biotechnology and microbiology also.
- The role of a Geneticist is important in the fields of cystic fibrosis, cancer research, inborn defects, Alzheimer's and in many other diseases.
B.Sc Genetics Admissions for 2020 - 2021 Academic Year
Are you looking for admissions for B.Sc Genetics for the academic year 2020 - 2021? We can connect you with the right colleges and universities offering B.Sc Genetics courses in your preferred locations. Apply Now for B.Sc Genetics