Pick up the pieces - Pick up the pieces is just like what we mean in Hindi "bikhare ko uthana". This is a very emotional piece of idiom. When it was brought to usage, the pieces meant "the broken pieces of glass".
It means to try to bring something to normal after something has gone through various difficulties or disastrous experience.
1. After his house fell down in the floods, it was really hard for him to pick up the pieces to build his new house.
2. It was like she had left me forever, and I could not pick up the pieces.
3. My mother had taken away my computer from me and I could not pick up the pieces to bring it back.
4. He could not pick up the pieces, when he tried to read the book again, his eyesight was so weak then to read it.
5. He had lost the most beautiful gift, the one he was presented from the girl he loved and he had lost it. He tried to find a lot, but could not pick up the pieces.