A cover letter is often the first communication an employer sees sometimes the cover letter is the first, and sometimes opportunity to grab an employer's attention and let them know why your resume is worth reading.
Your cover letter should include the following.
• Refer to any previous conversations/meetings.
• Summarize and expand on the experience detailed in your resume. This is your chance to sell yourself.
• Include your full contact details: Name, address, phone numbers.
• Refer the reader to your resume for complete information.
Always write to a specific person, not "To whom it may concern", or "Dear Sir/Madam", whenever possible.The best way is to include your address at the top of the right hand corner. The letter should end with Yours sincerely, In some cases Yours truly may also be used. Don't assume the employer will contact you. You should say something like, "I will contact you in two weeks. This imposes good impression on you.
Do not include anything that is of no value to your prospective employer.
Road No 31,
Nov. 15 2009.
Student Services Office,
Department of Metallurgical Engineering,
University of California, Berkeley
6189,Etcheverry Hall – 1742,
Berkeley, CA 94720-1742
Subject- Application for graduate studies.
I am an international applicant from Indian Institute of Technology Madras, India. I had applied for the PhD program in Mechanical Engineering using the online application form (ID: _____)
I am enclosing the following documents along with this letter:
1. Three Letters of Recommendation
2. Four Official Transcripts from IIT Madras
4. Statement of Purpose
5. Financial Position Clarification Letter
6. Photocopy of GRE and TOEFL scores
7. Degree Clarification Statement
While my application is being processed, the following variations of my name may be found:
Legal name according to passport : A.S Kranthi Kiran
Name in official transcripts : A.S Kranthi Kiran
Kindly consider the above names to represent the same person.
I have already requested ETS to forward my GRE General Test and TOEFL scores.
Kindly acknowledge the receipt of these documents through email (your mail id).
A S Kranthi Kiran