There arises many doubts in the minds of those who are preparing their resume for the first time for various industries and companies. However, there is no need to panic and overdo your resume adding unnecessary details or presenting in a manner that might make your resume not pleasing to look at. I am going to point out and clear some things which will help you prepare your resume at ease and even make it catchy to the recruiters.
• the first and foremost doubt that arises is the number of pages that are likely to be presented as resume.
Even though there is no restriction on the length of a resume, it is better to keep it short and precise. If the resume is too long, the crucial points that you want to highlight may get missed out. It is the content of the resume that matters and not the length of the resume. In case of fresh graduates, the resume can be submitted in 1 and 1/2 pages to a maximum of 2 pages. Do not mention irrelevant details that might make the recruiter lose interest in your profile. The mentioned information should be important and precise. At the same time, by leaving out some other related data, you could actually make the interviewer ask you information for the same. I you do so,it will help placing yourself in comfortable state by answering the recruiter.
• Frequently a doubt arises whether to sign the resume or not.
There is no need to sign the resume if it does not have a covering letter along with it. However in case of sending it with a covering letter, it MUST be signed.
• After filling the details, some people add declaration statement at the end of the resume like 'all the information contained in this resume is true to the best of my knowledge' etc.
However, it is not necessary at all as the resume is about you and the information provided in your resume would be true and is taken for granted. So it is advisable not to put these statements as they won't make any sense.
• Should references be mentioned at the end of resume?
Providing references is important in case of those who have an earlier industrial experience and want to switch jobs or so. The recruiter may call upon the references to know about you and your skills or to verify your details. In case of fresh graduates, the references are not given any importance and need not be mentioned unless asked for.
• If you are not residing at your permanent address then the question arises if you need to mention your current residential address as well as permanent address.
It is advisable to give the address that will help the company reach you without any problem or without any delay during the correspondence.
However, you can mention both the addresses if it is necessary.
• Should school activities, hobbies and non-academic accomplishments be included?
Yes, as they speak of your personality. Such activities will help the recruiter analyze your candidature. Hobbies, your activities and other accomplishments will tell about your capabilities and your communication with people. For example, if you are a football team captain, it speaks of your leadership qualities. If you have won many debate and elocutions then that speaks about your communication skills.
Hope that these tips would help you in preparing a good resume and enable you to secure a better job for you.
H No: 1-2-3/4,
E-mail Id: email@example.com
Phone no: xxx - xxxxxxxx
Mobile no: xxxxxxxxxx
CAREER OBJECTIVE :
Seeking an intern position which would give me ample chance to demonstrate my analytical and programming skills in a creative environment and contribute to the growth in the organization.
EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS :
I am currently a 4th year Undergraduate in Metallurgical Engineering in XYZ College of Engineering, Hyderabad.
Current Percentage ( upto 3rd year) : 73%
• Intermediate MPC (12th standard) : 93%
PQR Jnr. College, Hyderabad
• C.B.S.E (10th standard) : 83.4%
Worked on Study of Software Simulation Tools for Power Plant Training in Electronics Corporation of India Limited (ECIL) as a trainee in dec-2008.
• Presented a paper on ‘BIO-METRICS' in the National Level Technical Symposium ‘VECTOR 07' organized by ISTE student chapter & VLSI society of Indian Student Branch of VNRVJIET.
• Won a day prize in ONLINE EVENTS conducted as a part of
CONVERGENCE-2K7 (15th – 17th March).
• Attended SUNTECH days conducted by SUN MICROSYSTEMS.
• Held the position of Student Representative in my high school (I-X) class.
• Won many prizes for Essay Writing, Poetry writing, Elocution and debate competitions.
• Won prizes in Throw Ball matches held in school and in engineering college.
Languages: C, C++, Java, PL/SQL, HTML (web)
Operating Systems: UNIX, Linux, MS-dos
• Secured 139 rank in EAMCET examination.
• Was one of the few students who got selected for the Prestigious Enrichment Program organized by the Department of Atomic Energy (2003-2004).
• Was topper in Maths in 10th CBSE board exams .
• Positive Attitude
• Self-Confidence and Self-Motivation
• Always eager to accept challenges