The words alter and altar sound similar when spoken, but are different words.
The word alter is a verb.
Meanings: change; modify; adjust; vary; amend; revise; correct; rework.
- Antonym: maintain.
The word altar refers to the large block-like structure in a church where offerings are made to God and the place where a religious ceremony is conducted.
Examples of Alter:
1. All the airlines were forced to alter the flight plans due to the heavy fog.
2. The climbers altered the route up the mountain as the earlier planned route was strewn with huge boulders.
3. The Finance Minister had to alter a few aspects of the budget at the last minute.
Examples of Altar:
1. The couple stepped up to the Priest standing in front of the altar to exchange wedding vows.
2. The choir boy arranged the candles on the altar before the Mass began.
3. The archaeologist discovered the remains of an ancient altar amidst the ruins.