Incident and Incidence are similar looking words and are easily confused and are often substituted with each other.
Incident is a Noun which means an occurrence, event or a happening.
Incidence is a Noun which means the frequency or proportion of the happening or occurrence.
It is also used to depict the act of happening.
Plural : Incidences
Incident is the actual event whereas incidence is the frequency of occurrence of an event and the two should not be confused.
1. The funny incident that happened in school long ago still makes me laugh.
2. The ragging incident in the medical college was reported as headlines in the newspapers today.
3. The child who witnessed the horrifying incident is still in a traumatic state.
1. The colony that I reside in has a very low incidence of crime.
2. The sudden change in weather has brought about a rise in the incidence of influenza.
3. Obesity is largely responsible for high incidence of Diabetes in India.