A rolling stone gathers no moss is a proverb which when translated literally means that moss will not grow on any object which is not still and is moving continuously.
This proverb is normally used and interpreted in two ways:
1. A person who keeps on moving from one place to another (in quest of success) or one who cannot stick to his ideas, thoughts or opinions can never be successful. ‘Moss' here means success. This is the more conventional interpretation where success is attributed to a person who is kind of rooted.
2. A person who is constantly on the move and is never short of new and fresh ideas will always succeed in life. ‘Moss' here refers to stagnation or failures. This is another way of interpreting it where dynamism is equated with success.
1. Mr. Gupta has changed his job five times in the last couple of years and is still quite frustrated. It is not a surprise as a rolling stone gathers no moss.
2. Patients usually keep on changing doctors due to frustration and distrust. Just as a rolling stone gathers no moss, an unfaithful patient will gather no health.
3. I always knew that a rolling stone gathers no moss and therefore joined the website ISC to keep on trying different skills.