An abbreviation is nothing but the short form of a word or a phrase which is formed by leaving out some of the letters in the word or in the phrase and using the remaining letters to frame a word. An abbreviation cannot be pronounced as a word like pronouncing an acronym.
On the other hand, an acronym is formed by the initial letters of the words from which the acronym is formed. Unlike an abbreviation, an acronym can be pronounced as a word and that is the main thing that differentiates an acronym from an abbreviation. An acronym is only written in capital letters while an abbreviation can be either in capital letters or in small letters or in both.
1. BSNL –Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited
2. Mon – Monday
3. CPU – Central Processing Unit
4. Ltd – Limited
5. LKG – Lower Kinder Garden
6. HIV – Human Immunodeficiency Virus
1. AIDS – Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome
2. VIBGYOR – Violet, Indigo, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange, Red
3. OPAC – Online Public Access Catalogue
4. WHO – World Health Organization
5. LASER – Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation
6. INTERNET – International Network of Computers
7. LAN – Local Area Network Connection