To pull the strings - To pull the strings simply means to take control of something in which others are involved and to keep it influencing. This phrase is often used in spy stories and detective pieces. It is often used in context to a plan or something like that. Now, lets have an eye on the sample usage.
1. It is not just the politicians who have played villains in the Narega, but it is also, the contractors pulling the strings.
2. Why are you begging in front of him, why don't you just go and pull the strings and shock 'em.
3. Apart from the leaders, there are bureaucrats who often pull the strings of politics, in India.
4. Altec Lansing has pulled the strings and all the companies manufacturing sound systems are kneeling in front of it.
5. Sherlock holmes often use to hide behind, seeing everything closely, but used to pull the strings at the last, and turn everything round.